Changing or Canceling Your Incfile Order


Changing or Canceling Your Incfile Order

Table of Contents

Changing or Canceling Your Incfile Order

When you own a startup, there's no doubt that changes are going to happen as your business matures. Avon was founded by a door-to-door salesman who handed out perfume samples so women would listen to his sales pitch. Colgate first sold soap, candles and starch before the company became famous for their toothpaste. Nintendo was a playing card company that started in 1889, and they didn't begin making video games until 1974. There is definitely a point to this history lesson on capitalism: Your business is going to expand, evolve and change — and Incfile is here to help you through every step in the process.

Changing or Canceling Your Order

The great thing about Incfile is that we're super efficient. We typically forward your entity filing paperwork and payment to the state within 24 hours after your order is placed. While this is great in the majority of circumstances, it does result in a fairly small window of time if you happen to change your mind or want to cancel your order.

Your order is refundable until payment is forwarded to the state, less a $30.00 cancellation fee and any expenses that have been paid or incurred in furtherance of your order with any entities (including state agencies or third-party vendors). After payment has been forwarded to the state, we cannot cancel or make any changes to the state filing for you.

If you have placed an order and would like to cancel it or make any other changes, please send an email to Instructions to cancel an order or make any other changes cannot be accepted by telephone.

Remember, once the order has been submitted to your state for filing, Incfile is unable to amend the order in any way. However, you may have a small window to stop the processing of your paperwork. For example, the state of California provides a 15-day grace period to file a short-term dissolution once the company is active with the state. In a situation like this, Incfile cannot file the cancellation on behalf of our clients. You may want to visit your secretary of state's website to see what their grace period is or call to find out what your next steps should be (especially since every state has a different process).

Cancel Registered Agent Service

First thing's first: What is a Registered Agent? A Registered Agent is basically your company's official contact person where the secretary of state will send notifications, tax forms, legal paperwork and other documents. Every LLC is required to appoint a Registered Agent, and that representative has to live in the state where your company is registered to do business.

Now let's say a year has passed, and you need to change your Registered Agent because your current one has decided to move to another state. Each state has different forms, fees and processing times, so you'll need to visit your specific secretary of state's website to access the appropriate information. You can do this by typing in your state plus "secretary of state" in a search engine to find the website.

Next, you may need to click on a tab that says"business," or you can find the search box and type in "change of Registered Agent." From there, your search results should provide a listing of titles including the corresponding form that you're looking for (it is important to note that you cannot change a Registered Agent on an Articles of Amendment form).

While you more than likely won't have to explain why you need to change your Registered Agent, you will need to provide some or all of the following information:

  • Name of your company
  • Name and address of outgoing Registered Agent
  • Signature of outgoing agent
  • Name, address and signature of new agent

Perhaps you've used Incfile as your Registered Agent for your first few years to ensure you met all filing deadlines and show credibility by having an outside agent with an address that provides privacy (rather than using your home address). After all, if you file your business with us, your first year of Registered Agent service is included for free in each Incfile package.

But what if your business expands and you want one of your new members to be your Registered Agent? When it's time to renew your Registered Agent service with Incfile, we'll send you an email. If you do not intend on renewing your Registered Agent service with us, please note the following:

  • It will be incumbent on you to appoint a new Registered Agent in the corresponding state.
  • This will ensure that your company maintains compliance and avoids revocation and or administrative dissolution.
  • You can simply decline your renewal and follow the above instructions to notify your secretary of state of this change.
  • You can also contact us at, and we will cancel your Registered Agent service and/or help you to notify your secretary of state.

Other Changes

Chances are you'll add members to your company at some point, other members may move on, or you may change the name, address or purpose of your business. Maybe the entity that you first chose is no longer in alignment with the future of your company. Inevitably, changes will come up that cause you to update your legal paperwork with your secretary of state (and most likely the IRS).

If you don't inform the right government officials of this important information, you could face fines and other critical penalties. Fortunately, Incfile is here for you from beginning to end. Whether you need to file an Amendment to update your name or address, or you just want to discuss which entity is best for you in your current situation, our team of experts is here to help guide you on this journey.

You have enough to worry about concerning the everyday ins and outs of your business! Let Incfile gather, fill out and file your legal paperwork so you can have peace of mind knowing that your documents are properly and professionally taken care of.

Call Our Dedicated Team of Business Specialists Today & Get the Answers You Need.
Paper List

Like What You're Reading?

Get fresh monthly tips to start & grow your LLC.

Related Articles

  • The Only Cheat Sheet for LLC Expenses + Taxes You Need
  • ​Do LLCs Get a 1099 During Tax Time?
  • What Tax Forms Do I Need to File as an LLC?
  • 30 Profitable Food Truck Ideas for the Bootstrapped Entrepreneur
  • Commonly Overlooked Tax Deductions and Credits That Should Be on Your Radar
  • S Corp vs. C Corp: Differences and Benefits of Each
  • 20 Businesses You Can Start with $1,000
  • 15 Items You Can Easily Flip for $100-$5,000 in Profit a Month
  • 5 Virtual Address Services for Your Small Business
  • How to Pay Yourself From an LLC
  • 15 U.S. States with the Lowest State Fee to Start a Business Today
  • Side Hustles for Teens: 20 Ideas to Get Started
  • The ‟Golden Rules” for Naming Any Business
  • LLC vs. Sole Proprietorship: Which One Is Right for Your Small Business?
  • So You Moved? Follow This Guide to Moving Your LLC to Another State
  • PLLC vs. LLC: What You Need to Know
  • 8 Words to Avoid When Naming Your LLC
  • Can You Have Multiple Businesses Under One LLC? What Are the Rules?
  • If You're Not a U.S. Citizen, Can You Get an EIN for Your Business?
  • NAIC Codes: What They Are + How to Find Yours