Registered Agent Service Get an official registered agent to receive legal correspondence and tax documents for your business.
Rating 4.8 - 11882 votes

Find Your Next Registered Agent

A nationwide online registered agent service provider you can trust.
Receive the first year of your registered agent for free with your Incfile order.

Order Now

Every state requires a corporation or an LLC to have a Registered Agent (sometimes called a resident agent, statutory agent, or agent for service of process). The Registered Agent address is the address that will be used by the state for any official legal and tax correspondence. The Registered Agent address must be a physical, in-state street address; P.O. Boxes are not acceptable. If needed, IncFile can provide you with a Registered Agent for only $119.00 per year, and any official legal and tax correspondence from the state will be forwarded to your contact address. You can also get a year of registered agent service for free with your Incfile incorporation order when you file for an LLC or Corporation.

Do You Need a Registered, Resident, or Statutory Agent for Your Business?

Your business is required to have an official “registered agent” in the state (or states) where you do business, in order to have an officially designated place of operations and permanent physical presence where the state government can contact you with correspondence related to legal and tax documents such as franchise tax forms, service of process (notice of litigation in case you become party to a lawsuit) or just the annual report forms that your business must file each year to maintain your good standing as a legal entity.

Your registered agent can be an individual person (such as you, the business owner) or you can hire a registered agent service (such as the one offered by IncFile) to give you an added degree of convenience, reassurance and accountability to help manage your vital legal documents and avoid complications or errors.

What is Included in Registered Agent Services?

Registered Agent services, such as the one offered by IncFile, help you avoid hassles and inconvenience of managing all of your own documentation from the state. It also helps preserve your privacy by setting up a public-facing "registered agent" address for your business that is separate from your home. When you use a Registered Agent service, any official legal or tax correspondence will be forwarded to your personal, private contact address. As your Registered Agent service, we also help you stay on top of deadlines such as filing annual reports and other essential documents to keep your business in good standing.

What Happens if You Don't Get a Registered Agent?

If you do not set up a Registered Agent, whether it’s yourself as the business owner or a designated Registered Agent service, you are putting your business at risk in several ways:

  • Missing out on critical information: If your company gets sued and you have not set up a Registered Agent with the state, you might not even get notified of the court summons and you risk being hit with a default judgment.
  • Losing good standing: Without a Registered Agent, you might not get notified about filing deadlines for annual reports or other compliance documents that you need to file with the state to keep your business in good legal standing. This could lead to fines and penalties, depending on the policies of your state.
  • Loss of your business entity: Without a Registered Agent, the state has no proof that your business really “exists,” and if you miss your deadlines for annual reports or other essential paperwork, you risk ending up in a situation where the state administratively dissolves your business entity and declares that your business no longer exists. This results in a loss of your limited liability protection and other damages to your business operations and reputation.

Getting a Registered Agent seems like a simple task to protect against unlikely scenarios – after all, you probably won’t get sued, right? But it’s worth doing just to make sure your business is in compliance with the state and to ensure that you get promptly notified of any changes or problems along the way.

How to Choose a Registered Agent for Your LLC or Inc.

When choosing your Registered Agent, you need to choose someone who will be:

  • Available during business hours
  • Able to be served with a legal notice, if necessary
  • Able to promptly relay any legal documents to the appropriate people at your business.

A good Registered Agent service can help you respond quickly in the event of a lawsuit, avoid missed deadlines, fines and penalties for non-compliance, and otherwise manage the details of paperwork so you can focus on running your business.

IncFile can provide you with a Registered Agent for only $119.00 per year, and any official legal and tax correspondence from the state will be forwarded to your contact address. We even give the first year of Registered Agent service for free — a feature that makes us the best online formation company for small business owners.

Each of our three incorporation packages include a 1 free year of registered agent service, if you do not need us to act as your registered agent you are not obliged to do so and you can name yourself or whomever you wish.

After the first year, your service will automatically renew to keep your company in compliance with state requirements. You will always have the option to cancel the service at any time by assigning a new registered agent with state and notifying us of the change.

We only point this out because there are companies that will offer the registered agent service for a pre specified time lets say 6 weeks or 3 months and then auto charge your payment card for whatever their annual fee is and then keep charging every year thereafter going forward making the assumption that the company is still active or that you have not changed the agent on file with the state.

As your Registered Agent, we will:

  • Accept any legal service of process (notice of litigation) document; record of the service in your company file.
  • Notify you via telephone and/or email upon receipt of service of process.
  • Forward any official, legal, or tax correspondence received from your state of incorporation.
If you require us to provide a registered agent, the address cannot be used as a general business/mail forwarding address. Only official legal and tax correspondence from the state will be accepted. Any other mailings to the registered agent will be returned to the sender.
Ra Dashboard
A registered agent service provider you can trust.

Get your important documents
delivered to you on time - every time. is a nationwide Registered Agent service provider. Our processes and protocols are tested to insure that your documents are delivered in a timely manner by harnessing the power of technology and people who have years of experience and expert understanding of the industry.

Registered Agent


Common questions about establishing Registered Agent service.

How will I be notified if service of process is received?

Your service will be managed through the Registered Agent Dashboard any service of process that is received by us will be uploaded to the dashboard and an email notification will sent informing you that the documents have been uploaded to your account.

How will I know when it is time to renew my Registered Agent?

The Registered Agent service is renewed annually. An email with renewal instructions will be sent one month prior to the due date. The service may be renewed anytime through the Registered Agent Dashboard.

How much will it cost to renew my Registered Agent service?

The annual fee for the Registered Agent service is $119.

Who will be responsible for updating the Registered Agent information with the state?

Filing the Change of Agent for your company will be offered within the order process. If you select this option the state fee will be added to the cost of the Registered Agent service. If you elect to not have us update the Registered Agent on file it will be your responsibility to submit the necessary paperwork.

What is the name and address of my Registered Agent?

The Registered Agent information will be listed in the confirmation email. It may also be obtained by logging into the Registered Agent Dashboard after the order is placed.

What happens if I require the signature of the Registered Agent?

If the signature of the Registered Agent is required please contact our support staff for assistance. We are typically able to return the signed documents to our clients electronically however some states require original signatures on official documents. If an original signature is required we will mail you the signed documents.