Wyoming Registered Agents
The Wyoming Secretary of State requires every WY LLC to have a Registered Agent, or as it’s referred to in other states, a Registered Agent. We’ll use those names interchangeably in this guide, since their functions and requirements are identical.
Once you have assigned an Wyoming Registered Agent, they can receive official correspondence and documents on behalf of your WY business. Registered Agents can be individuals or other specialized Registered Agent service organizations.
Your LLC must have an Wyoming Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a one when you first start your business, and you can also replace your existing WY Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
What the Wyoming SOS says about Registered Agents
Here’s some important information from the Wyoming Secretary of State on WY Registered Agents.
“All business entities filed in Wyoming shall have and continuously maintain in this state a registered agent to accept service of process. Failure to maintain a registered agent results in the dissolution or revocation of the business entity. The registered agent may be an individual resident in Wyoming or a business entity (foreign or domestic) authorized to transact business in Wyoming. The registered agent must have a physical address in Wyoming.”
Wyoming LLC Registered Agent Service Rules
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing an Wyoming Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Wyoming
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Wyoming
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Wyoming, not a P.O. Box
- The WY Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence
Note that the WY Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Wyoming LLC business address.
The Purpose of an Wyoming Registered Agent
What can you expect from your Wyoming Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence from the WY Secretary of State. This includes:
- Correspondence from the Wyoming Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your WY LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Wyoming state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
A Complete Wyoming Registered Agent Service from Incfile
Incfile provides a complete Wyoming Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s incorporated in AZ. Even better, if you choose to incorporate your Wyoming business through Incfile, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Wyoming and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what the Incfile Wyoming Registered Agent service provides for your WY LLC:
- An always-available Wyoming Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Wyoming business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your Wyoming business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
How to Appoint an Wyoming Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Wyoming LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint an WY Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Wyoming LLC
Your business needs to have an Wyoming Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with the Wyoming Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the WY Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Wyoming Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Wyoming Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your WY Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate Your Business Through Incfile
Change Your Wyoming Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your WY Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Change of an Entity’s Registered Agent and Office with the Wyoming Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Wyoming Registered Agent, you can complete form Change of an Entity’s Registered Agent and Office that’s available on the WY Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the secretary of state so they can update your records.
Sign up for Incfile’s Wyoming Registered Agent Service, and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our WY Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Wyoming Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.Order Incfile's Wyoming Registered Agent Service
Wyoming Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Wyoming LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Wyoming Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’ Registered Agent.
If the WY Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Wyoming Secretary of State requesting the information.
Issues with Not Having a Wyoming Registered Agent
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Wyoming Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Wyoming Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your Annual Report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Wyoming LLC: A WY Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Wyoming LLC may be dissolved.
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent for Your WY LLC
If you have an address in Wyoming, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The WY Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Wyoming. If you’re forming an LLC outside WY, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Wyoming address to sign for important documents.
- The WY Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Wyoming Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you might choose to use a Registered Agent service instead.
- If you change your Wyoming business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with the WY Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Wyoming Registered Agents
Yes. All WY LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Wyoming Secretary of State.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Wyoming business through paperwork filed with the WY Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Wyoming Secretary of State.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Wyoming Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: