Wisconsin Registered Agent Services for LLCs
The Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions requires every WI LLC to have a Registered Agent. Once you have assigned a Wisconsin Registered Agent, they can receive official correspondence and documents on behalf of your WI business. Registered Agents can be individuals or businesses that offer specialized Registered Agent services.
Your LLC must have a Wisconsin Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing WI Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
What the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions Says About WI Registered Agents
Here’s some important information from the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions on WI Registered Agent services.
“The registered agent is the person, resident in Wisconsin, designated by the corporation to receive official communications on its behalf, such as service of process, annual report forms, tax forms, etc. It may be an officer or employee of the corporation, or someone not directly involved, such as an attorney. It is important to keep the registered agent and registered office information current, as significant consequences could arise for failure to receive and act on important papers sent to the corporation's registered agent.”
Rules for Wisconsin Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Wisconsin Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Wisconsin.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Wisconsin.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Wisconsin, not a P.O. Box.
- The WI Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the WI Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Wisconsin LLC business address.
The Purpose of a Wisconsin Registered Agent
What can you expect from your Wisconsin Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence from the WI Department of Financial Institutions. This includes:
- Correspondence from the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your WI LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Wisconsin state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
The Incfile Registered Agent Service for Wisconsin LLCs
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Wisconsin and you need a WI Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Wisconsin business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Wisconsin and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what the Incfile Wisconsin Registered Agent service provides for your WI LLC:
- An always-available Wisconsin Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Wisconsin business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your Wisconsin business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
How to Appoint a Wisconsin Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Wisconsin LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Wisconsin Registered Agent When You Form Your WI LLC
Your business needs to have a Wisconsin Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the WI Department of Financial Institutions to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Wisconsin Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Wisconsin Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your WI Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate Your Business Through Incfile
Change Your Wisconsin Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your WI Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form 13 - Registered Agent and/or Registered Office Change with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
Once you’ve chosen a new Wisconsin Registered Agent, you can complete Form 13 - Registered Agent and/or Registered Office Change that’s available on the WI Department of Financial Institutions website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Department of Financial Institutions so they can update your records.
Sign up for Incfile’s Wisconsin Registered Agent Service, and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our WI Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete form M002 on your behalf and send it to the Wisconsin Corporation Commission. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Statutory Agent.ORDER INCFILE'S WISCONSIN REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
Wisconsin Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Wisconsin LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the WI Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions to request the information.
Issues with Not Having a Wisconsin Registered Agent
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Wisconsin LLC: A WI Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Wisconsin LLC may be dissolved.
You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Wisconsin Registered Agent
If you have an address in Wisconsin, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The WI Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Wisconsin. If you’re forming an LLC outside WI, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Wisconsin address to sign for important documents.
- The WI Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions's website. If you prefer your name and address aren’t published, you might choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Wisconsin business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the WI Department of Financial Institutions for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Wisconsin Registered Agents
Yes. All WI LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Wisconsin business through paperwork filed with the WI Department of Financial Institutions or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Wisconsin Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: