Learn About Pennsylvania Registered Agent Services
Your PA LLC must assign a Pennsylvania Registered Agent. This is a formally recognized person or business who can receive business correspondence and other documents from the Pennsylvania Department of State. Assigning a Registered Agent is a legal requirement.
Unlike many other states, PA only requires you to list the registered office (not the name) of your Registered Agent. This is known as a Commercial Registered Office Provider (CROP). We will use those names interchangeably in this section.
Your LLC must have a Pennsylvania Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing PA Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent.
Pennsylvania LLC CROP Service Rules
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Pennsylvania Registered Agent or CROP service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Pennsylvania
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Pennsylvania
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Pennsylvania, not a P.O. Box
- The PA Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence
Note that the PA Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Pennsylvania LLC business address.
The Purpose of a Pennsylvania Registered Agent
Your Pennsylvania Registered Agent or CROP carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the PA Department of State on your behalf. This may include:
- Correspondence from the Pennsylvania Department of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Pennsylvania LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Pennsylvania and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
A Complete Pennsylvania Registered Agent Service from Incfile
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Pennsylvania and you need a PA Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Pennsylvania business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
To "We are authorized to conduct business in Pennsylvania and can legally act as your Commercial Registered Office Provider. Here’s what you need to know about Incfile’s PA Registered Agent service:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Pennsylvania Department of State or anyone else
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose
Appointing a PA CROP Service for Your Pennsylvania LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Pennsylvania LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Pennsylvania CROP When You Form Your PA LLC
Your business needs to have a Pennsylvania Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Organization. This is the form that you file with the PA Department of State to formally create your business.
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Pennsylvania Registered Agent Service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your PA Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Assign a Different Pennsylvania CROP Service After Incorporation
You can also change your PA Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Once you’ve chosen a new Pennsylvania Registered Agent, you can complete a form. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the department of state so they can update your records. The Pennsylvania DOS may charge a nominal fee to assign or change a Registered Agent.
When you choose to use our PA Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the CROP form on your behalf and send it to the Pennsylvania Department of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent. Note that the Pennsylvania DOS may charge a nominal fee to assign or change a Registered Agent, which will be passed on to you.
Pennsylvania Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Pennsylvania LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Pennsylvania Department of State, as these will often provide details of a specific business’s CROP.
If the PA Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Pennsylvania Department of State requesting the information.
Issues with Not Having a Pennsylvania CROP
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Pennsylvania Department of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Pennsylvania Department of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Pennsylvania LLC: A PA Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Pennsylvania LLC may be dissolved.
You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Pennsylvania CROP
If you have an address in Pennsylvania, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The PA Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Pennsylvania. If you’re forming an LLC outside PA, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Pennsylvania address to sign for important documents.
- The PA Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Pennsylvania Department of State's website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you might choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Pennsylvania business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with the PA Department of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Pennsylvania CROPs
Yes. All PA LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Pennsylvania Department of State.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Pennsylvania business through paperwork filed with the PA Department of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Pennsylvania Department of State.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Pennsylvania CROPs
You might find these resources helpful: