Oklahoma Registered Agents for Your LLC
The Oklahoma Secretary of State requires every OK LLC to have a Registered Agent. Once you have assigned an Oklahoma Registered Agent, they can receive official
correspondence and documents on behalf of your OK business. Registered Agents can be individuals or other specialized Registered Agent service businesses.
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing OK Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a
smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Rules for Oklahoma Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing an Oklahoma Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Oklahoma
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Oklahoma
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Oklahoma, not a P.O. Box
- The OK Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence
Note that the OK Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Oklahoma LLC business address.
What to Expect From an Oklahoma Registered Agent Service
What can you expect from your Oklahoma Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence from the OK Secretary of State. This
- Correspondence from the Oklahoma Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your OK LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Oklahoma state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
A Complete Oklahoma Registered Agent Service From Incfile
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Oklahoma and you need an OK Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any
Oklahoma business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Oklahoma and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what you need to know about Incfile’s OK Registered Agent service:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Oklahoma Secretary of State or anyone else
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose
Order Incfile’s Oklahoma Registered
How to Appoint an Oklahoma Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Oklahoma LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint an OK Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Oklahoma LLC
Your business needs to have an Oklahoma Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization With the Oklahoma Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the OK Secretary of State to formally
create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Oklahoma Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Oklahoma
Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your OK Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Change Your Oklahoma Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your OK Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
File Form CHANGE OR DESIGNATION OF REGISTERED AGENT AND/OR REGISTERED OFFICE with the Oklahoma SOS
Once you’ve chosen a new Oklahoma Registered Agent, you can complete a form that’s available on the OK Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it
to the secretary of state so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Oklahoma Registered Agent Service, and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our OK Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your
business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Oklahoma Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Oklahoma Registered Agent service
Oklahoma Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Oklahoma LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of
the Oklahoma Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the OK Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Oklahoma Secretary of State requesting the information.
The Problems Caused When You Don’t Appoint an Oklahoma Registered Agent Service
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Oklahoma Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications,
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Oklahoma Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states
may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as an Oklahoma LLC: A OK Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections
and your Oklahoma LLC may be dissolved.
You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Oklahoma Registered Agent
If you have an address in Oklahoma, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The OK Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Oklahoma. If you’re forming an LLC outside OK, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Oklahoma address to sign for important documents.
- The OK Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Oklahoma Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and
address aren’t published, you might choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Oklahoma business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with the OK Secretary of State for the new address if you
act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Oklahoma Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint an Oklahoma Registered Agent?
Yes. All OK LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Oklahoma Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign an Oklahoma Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Oklahoma business through paperwork filed with the OK Secretary of State, or afterward by filing the correct form. If
you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Oklahoma?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a
fee to the Oklahoma Secretary of State.
Does My OK Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Oklahoma?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Oklahoma Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: