Registered Agents and Your New Hampshire LLC
Your LLC must assign a New Hampshire Registered Agent. This is a formally recognized person or business who can receive business correspondence and other documents from the New Hampshire Secretary of State. Assigning a Registered Agent is a legal requirement.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Rules for New Hampshire Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a New Hampshire Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in New Hampshire.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in New Hampshire.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in New Hampshire, not a P.O. Box.
- The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your New Hampshire LLC business address.
Services Provided by a New Hampshire Registered Agent
What can you expect from your New Hampshire Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence. This includes:
- Correspondence from the New Hampshire Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official New Hampshire state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
Incfile Provides a Free New Hampshire Registered Agent Service for the First Year
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in New Hampshire and you need a Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any New Hampshire business. We’ll even act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in New Hampshire and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what the Incfile New Hampshire Registered Agent service provides for your LLC:
- An always-available New Hampshire Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your New Hampshire business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
How to Appoint a New Hampshire Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your New Hampshire LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your New Hampshire Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business needs to have a New Hampshire Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Certificate of Formation with the New Hampshire Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Formation. This is the form that you file with the NH Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free New Hampshire Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Formation based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free New Hampshire Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate Your Business Through Incfile
Assign a Different New Hampshire Registered Agent Service After Incorporation
You can also change your Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent, or Both with the New Hampshire Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can complete a form that’s available on the NH Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State so they can update your records.
Sign up for Incfile’s New Hampshire Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our NH Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the New Hampshire Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.Order Incfile's New Hampshire Registered Agent Service
Searching for NH Registered Agents for Other LLCs
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another New Hampshire LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the New Hampshire Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the New Hampshire Secretary of State requesting the information.
Possible Outcomes of Not Assigning a Registered Agent for Your New Hampshire LLC
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the New Hampshire Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the New Hampshire Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a New Hampshire LLC: A Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your LLC may be dissolved.
Assigning Yourself as the New Hampshire Registered Agent for Your LLC
If you have an address in New Hampshire, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in New Hampshire. If you’re forming an LLC outside NH, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the New Hampshire address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the New Hampshire Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your New Hampshire business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the NH Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About New Hampshire Registered Agents
Yes. All NH LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the New Hampshire Secretary of State.
You can either do it when you incorporate your New Hampshire business through paperwork filed with the Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the New Hampshire Secretary of State.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for New Hampshire Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: