1 (888) 462-3453

How Your Corporation Will Be Taxed

In this guide, you'll learn about the main New Hampshire taxes that apply to corporations, including sales, self-employment, corporate and federal taxes.

How your corporation is taxed will depend on whether it's a New Hampshire S Corporation or C Corporation.

New Hampshire Taxes for Corporations

There are three types of NH state tax you must pay to the NH Department of Revenue: interest and dividends, enterprise, and profits.

Important: All of these taxes apply whether you have a C Corp or an S Corp.

New Hampshire State Income Tax

New Hampshire is unlike most states in that it does not have income taxes.


New Hampshire Interest and Dividend Tax

Instead of levying an income tax, New Hampshire levies a 5 percent interest and dividend tax on resident individuals, partnerships, and fiduciaries earning interest and dividend taxable income of more than $2,400 annually.

Important: Recent legislation will phase out the Interest and Dividends (I&D) Tax starting at 4 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2023, 3 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2024, 2 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2025, and 1 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2026.


New Hampshire Sales and Use Tax

New Hampshire is one of the few states that does not levy a tax on the sale of goods.

New Hampshire Business Enterprise Tax

The state of New Hampshire levies a Business Enterprise Tax (BET) on the enterprise value tax base, which is the sum of all compensation paid or accrued, interest paid or accrued, and dividends paid by the business enterprise, after special adjustments and apportionment.

The BET rate is currently at 0.6 percent with plans to be reduced to 0.55 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2022.


New Hampshire Business Profits Tax

Similar to a corporate income tax, the NH Business Profits Tax (BPT) is levied on the income from conducting business activity within the State of New Hampshire.

Any business organization, organized for gain or profit carrying on business activity within the State is subject to this tax. However, organizations with $50,000 or less of gross business income from all their activities are not required to file a return.

The current BPT rate is at 7.7 percent, however there are plans to have it reduced to 7.6 percent for taxable periods ending on or after December 31, 2022.

Talk to your accountant or tax preparer, or contact the Department of Revenue to determine whether you're required to pay the business profits tax and to ensure you're paying the correct amount.

Federal Taxes for Corporations

Federal taxes can be complicated, so speak to your accountant or professional tax preparer to ensure that your New Hampshire corporation is paying the correct amount, and that you're paying the correct individual amount.

Federal Self-Employment Tax

Whether and how you pay this tax depends on whether you have a C Corp or an S Corp.

Federal Taxes for C Corps

All shareholders who earn wages or a salary from a C Corporation must pay self-employment tax. This tax is administered by the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and covers Social Security, Medicare and other benefits. The current self-employment tax rate is 15.3 percent.

You’ll be able to deduct some of your business expenses from your income when calculating how much self-employment tax you owe.

Here are some examples of how much self-employment tax you may need to pay, depending on your earnings:

  • On a salary of $28,000, you would pay $4,284.
  • On a salary of $48,000, you would pay $7,344.
  • On a salary of $68,000, you would pay $10,404.
  • On a salary of $88,000, you would pay $13,464.

Federal Taxes for S Corps

The Internal Revenue Service allows a corporation to be treated as an S Corporation for tax purposes, provided your business meets certain requirements. This can help you reduce the amount of self-employment tax you pay by allowing you to declare some of your income as salary and other income as distributions or withdrawals.

You do this by filing Form 2553, also known as an S Corp Election form, with the IRS. Incfile can also file the form for you. Use our S Corp Tax Calculator to get an idea of how much money you could save with this election.

Consult with your accountant or tax advisor for more information on reducing your self-employment tax through an S Corporation tax election.

Treating your business as an S Corp can help you save money.

We can file the paperwork with the IRS on your behalf.

Federal Income Tax

You must pay regular federal income tax on any wages or salary your corporation pays you, regardless of its type. The amount of income tax you pay depends on your earnings, current income tax bracket, deductions and filing status.

Speak to your accountant or tax professional for more information.

Taxes Specific to C Corporations

Regardless of the state where your corporation is based, corporate taxes can get pretty complicated. We provide some basic information here, but we strongly encourage you to consult with a tax professional to ensure your corporation pays the right taxes in the right amounts to help you avoid penalties, fines and worst of all, tax audits.

Corporate Tax

Unlike a limited liability company or an S Corporation, a C Corporation is required to file a corporate tax return and pay taxes on any profits.

When those profits are paid to shareholders as dividends, they will also be subject to taxation on the shareholders' personal tax returns.

This is often referred to as “double taxation” and is one reason many business owners prefer to file their taxes as S Corporations.

Note: It is possible for a C Corp to file taxes as an S Corp. Consult with your accountant or professional tax advisor for more information.

Stock Dividends

A C Corporation may pay shareholders dividends as a share of the profits of the company. The value of dividends to which each shareholder is entitled depends on how many shares they own.

Dividends distributed to shareholders are taxed twice — first at the corporate level as profit (on the corporation’s Form 1120, the U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return) and again at the individual level as stock dividends (on the shareholder's Form 1040, the U.S. Individual Income Tax Return).

Taxes Specific to S Corporations

You must pay federal income tax on both your salary and any distributions you take from the business.

Need someone to file your corporate taxes?

Incfile provides a complete Business Tax Filing service.

Employee and Employer Taxes

If you pay employees, there are some slightly different tax implications. Speak to your accountant to get clear guidance for your unique situation.

Employer Payroll Tax Withholding

All employers are required to withhold federal taxes from their employees’ wages. You’ll withhold 7.65 percent of their taxable wages, and your employees will also be responsible for 7.65 percent, adding up to the current federal tax rate of 15.3 percent.

Speak to your accountant for more information.

Employees May Need to File Tax Returns

Regardless of whether you withhold federal and state income tax, your employees may need to file their own tax returns.

Employee Insurance and Other Requirements

You may also need to pay insurance for any employees, such as employee compensation insurance or unemployment tax.

Other Taxes and Duties

Depending on your industry, you may be liable for certain other taxes and duties. For example, if you sell gasoline, you may need to pay a tax on any fuel you sell. Likewise, if you import or export goods, you may need to pay certain duties.

Speak to your accountant about any other taxes or duties you may need to withhold or pay.


Estimated Taxes

Most corporations must pay estimated taxes throughout the year — on a quarterly basis — depending on the amount of profit and income you expect to make. Per the IRS:

"Corporations must generally make estimated tax payments if they expect their estimated tax (income tax less credits) to be $500 or more."

The most common types of estimated tax are:

Federal income tax

Federal self-employment tax

C Corporation

If you expect to owe $500 or more in income tax, you must make four quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS. You'll estimate your total tax on Form 1120-W, then pay 25% on each due date. Please note that the IRS will no longer be updating Form 1120-W, so follow up with your accountant with any questions on estimated tax payments after 2023.

Important: This applies to you as the owner of the C Corporation, not the business itself. A C Corporation does not pay income tax.

S Corporation

It's a little less straightforward for an S Corp, which will pay estimated taxes by filing an IRS Form 1120-S, which is the income tax return form for S Corps.

Also, as the owner of an S Corp, you'll need to make estimated payments on self-employment tax.

Learn more on the IRS website, and speak to your accountant for more information. Or use Incfile's Business Tax Filing service.

We can help you navigate complex tax situations and avoid costly mistakes with our complete Business Tax Filing service

FAQs on Corporate New Hampshire Taxes

Is There a New Hampshire Sales and Use Tax?

No, unlike many states New Hampshire does not have a sales tax.

Is There a New Hampshire State Income Tax?

No. New Hampshire does not have a state income tax, but instead levies an Interest and Dividends Tax. You can find more information above.

Is There a NH Franchise Tax?

No. New Hampshire does not have a franchise tax, however businesses must pay Business Profit Tax on any corporate income. You'll find more information above.

Do I Need to Report My New Hampshire Business Profit Tax Every Year?

No. If the income made is under the threshold, you don't need to file a report. Read more above.

Do I Need to Pay Estimated Taxes?

Yes. In most cases, you must pay estimated taxes to the federal government, whether you run a C Corp or an S Corp. You'll find more information above.

Your Business with Incfile

No contracts. No surprises.

Only $0 + state fee to launch your business.

Start Now