Why Your Nebraska LLC Needs a Registered Agent
Every business entity formed in Nebraska needs to formally appoint a person or business to act as a Registered Agent. Your Nebraska Registered Agent provides various services
to NE LLCs, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Nebraska Secretary of State.
Your LLC must have a Nebraska Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing NE
Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Rules for Nebraska Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Nebraska Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Nebraska.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Nebraska.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Nebraska, not a P.O. Box.
- The NE Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the NE Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Nebraska LLC business address.
The Purpose of a Nebraska Registered Agent
Your Nebraska Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the NE Secretary of State on your
behalf. This may include:
- Correspondence from the Nebraska Secretary of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Nebraska LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Nebraska and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
Incfile Provides a Free Nebraska Registered Agent Service for the First Year
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Nebraska and you need a NE Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Nebraska
business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Nebraska and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what the Infile Nebraska Registered Agent service provides for your NE LLC:
- An always-available Nebraska Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Nebraska business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your Nebraska business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
Order Incfile’s Nebraska Registered Agent service
How to Appoint a Nebraska Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Nebraska LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Nebraska Registered Agent When You Form Your NE LLC
Your business needs to have a Nebraska Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Certificate of Organization with the Nebraska Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Organization. This is the form that you file with the NE Secretary of State to formally create
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Nebraska Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Nebraska
Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your NE Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Change Your Nebraska Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your NE Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File a Form with the Nebraska Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Nebraska Registered Agent, you can complete a form. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Nebraska Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our NE Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business,
complete form [form name and number] on your behalf and send it to the Nebraska Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Nebraska Registered Agent service
Nebraska Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Nebraska LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Nebraska
Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the NE Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Nebraska Secretary of State requesting the information.
Issues with Not Having a Nebraska Registered Agent
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Nebraska Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
Falling out of good standing with the Nebraska Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states
may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Nebraska LLC: A NE Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business
entity protections and your Nebraska LLC may be dissolved.
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent for Your NE LLC
If you have an address in Nebraska, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The NE Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Nebraska. If you’re forming an LLC outside NE, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Nebraska address to sign for important documents.
- The NE Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Nebraska Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and
address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Nebraska business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the NE Secretary of State for the new address if you act
as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Nebraska Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint a Nebraska Registered Agent?
Yes. All NE LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Nebraska Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign a Nebraska Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Nebraska business through paperwork filed with the NE Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your
business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Nebraska?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the
Nebraska Secretary of State.
Does My NE Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Nebraska?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Nebraska Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: