Montana Registered Agents for LLCs

Every business entity formed in Montana needs to formally appoint a person or business to act as a Registered Agent. Your Montana Registered Agent provides various services to LLCs, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Montana Secretary of State.

Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.

Information on the Montana Secretary of State and Registered Agent Services

Here's some important information from the Montana Secretary of State on MT Resident Agent services.

“A registered agent’s primary purpose is to accept service of process on behalf of the entities it represents. Over time, it has become common for business entities to use as their registered agents businesses whose principal activity is the provision of registered agent services. An entity registered with the Secretary of State as a registered agent must maintain an active good standing status and an address within the State of Montana whether as a Commercial or Noncommercial Registered Agent. A business entity cannot serve as its own registered agent.”

Rules for Montana Registered Agents

There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Montana Registered Agent service for your business. They are:

  • If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Montana.
  • If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Montana.
  • The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Montana, not a P.O. Box.
  • The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.

Note that the Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Montana LLC business address.

Services Provided by a Montana Registered Agent

Your Montana Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the MT Secretary of State on your behalf. This may include:

  • Correspondence from the Montana Secretary of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
  • Service of process documents (for example, if your Montana LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
  • Official Montana and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)

Incfile Provides a Free Montana Registered Agent Service for the First Year

If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Montana and you need a Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Montana business. We’ll even act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).

We are authorized to conduct business in Montana and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what the Incfile Montana Registered Agent service provides for your LLC:

  • An always-available Montana Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
  • A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Montana business
  • Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business
  • Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you

How to Appoint a Montana Registered Agent for Your LLC

You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Montana LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.

Assign Your Montana Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC

Your business needs to have a Montana Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.

File Certificate of Formation with the Montana Secretary of State

You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Formation. This is the form that you file with the MT Secretary of State to formally create your business.

Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Montana Registered Agent

When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you've provided. Additionally, we give you a free Montana Resident Agent Service for the first year, and we'll include details of your Montana Resident Agent in the form that we file.

Registered Agent Service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your MS Registered Agent in the form that we file.

Assign a Different Montana Registered Agent Service After Incorporation

You can also change your Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.

Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent, or Both with the Montana Secretary of State

Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can complete a form that’s available on the MT Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State so they can update your records.

Sign up for Incfile's Montana Resident Agent Service and We'll File the Change on Your Behalf

When you choose to use our MT Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Montana Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.

Searching for MT Registered Agents for Other LLCs

In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Montana LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Montana Secretary of State, as these will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.

If the MT Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Montana Secretary of State requesting the information.

Possible Outcomes of Not Assigning a Registered Agent for Your Montana LLC

What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Montana Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:

  • Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
  • Falling out of good standing with the Montana Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
  • Losing your status as a Montana LLC: A Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your LLC may be dissolved.

You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Montana Registered Agent

If you have an address in Montana, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:

  • The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Montana. If you’re forming an LLC outside Montana, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
  • You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Montana address to sign for important documents.
  • The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Montana Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
  • If you change your Montana business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with the MT Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.

FAQs About Montana Registered Agents

Do I Need to Appoint a Montana Registered Agent?

Yes. All MT LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Montana Secretary of State.

When Can I Assign a Montana Registered Agent Service?

You can either do it when you incorporate your Montana business through paperwork filed with the Montana Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.

Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Montana?

Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Montana Secretary of State.

Does My Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Montana?

Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.

Useful Resources for Montana Registered Agent Services

You might find these resources helpful:

Your Business with Incfile

No contracts. No surprises.
Only $0 + state fee to launch your business.

Start Now

Fees and Requirements in Montana


State fee

State filing time

Expected filling time

Filing Time and Price

The state charges this amount to file a new business entity. This fee goes directly to the Secretary of State.

  Compare State Filing Times   Compare State Filing Prices

Compliance Requirements

This report is mandatory and must be filed within the specified time frame in order for the entity to remain in good standing with the state. Failure to file this report can lead to the company being revoked or administratively dissolved.

Other State Requirements

See How Easy It Can Be to Get Your Business Incorporated



One time payment

Get the Silver Package
  • Package fee
  • State fee
  • Prepare & Filing the Articles of Organization
  • Unlimited Name Searches
  • FREE Registered Agent for a year!
Most Popular


Everything from silver+


One time payment

Get the Gold Package
  • Package fee
  • State fee
  • EIN Business Tax Number
  • IRS Form 2553
  • Operating Agreement
  • Banking Resolution
  • Lifetime Company Alerts
  • Online Access Dashboard
  • Unlimited Phone & Email Support
  • Business Banking Account
  • Business Tax Consultation
Best Value


Everything from silver & gold+


One time payment

Get the Platinum Package
  • Package fee
  • State fee
  • Business Contract Templates
  • Expedited Filing
  • Domain Name + Business Email

How We Compare

Get more for less.

incfile-logo legalzoom-logo zenbusiness-logo

Initial Filing Price

$0 + State Fee

$79 + State Fee

$49 + State Fee

Billed Annually

File Articles

Name Search

Business Dashboard with Additional Services, Content & Support

Business Tax Consultation

First Year Registered Agent



Operating Agreement






Has to be purchased as a package with Operating Agreement.


Business Contract Templates


One-time fee or FREE with Platinum package.


Monthly subscription *part of Smart Employer Package

Expedited Order



*must purchase Express Gold package


*rush order $100 + state fee

Subscribe Now to Learn More About LLC and Starting a Business