Your Montana Registered Agent provides various services, including the acceptance of formal documents and continued correspondence with the Montana Secretary of State.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You’ll appoint one when you first formally register and form your business. You can also replace your existing Montana Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new agents.
Note that the address for your Montana Registered Agent does not need to be the same as your Montana LLC business address.
What a Montana Registered Agent Does
A Registered Agent’s main function in Montana is to accept official documentation and communications.
- Correspondence from the Montana Secretary of State (SOS)
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
- Official state and federal government correspondence and notices
Having a Registered Agent also provides proof to the state that your business exists.
Incfile Provides Free Montana Registered Agent Service for the First Year
Incfile provides complete Montana Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s formed in the state. Even better, if you’ve formed your business through Incfile, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Montana and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Registered Agent service provides:
Appointing a Registered Agent for Your LLC
When you first register and form your LLC, you must appoint a Registered Agent. You can change it at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business needs to have a Registered Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this two ways:
When you formally create your business, you’re required to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization.
Establish your business through us, and you’ll get a free year of our Registered Agent Service. We’ll also complete and file your Articles of Organization for you with the information that you provide.
Assign a New Registered Agent After Formation
After you’ve formed your LLC, you can still assign someone else to be your Montana Registered Agent. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, file a Statement of Change with the Montana Secretary of State. The MT Secretary of State provides the service at no cost.
When you use our Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and file it with the Montana Secretary of State. We’ll let you know when we officially become your Registered Agent.
Montana Registered Agent Search
In certain situations, it may be useful to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another LLC in Montana. You can download and browse a corporate registered agent list provided by the Montana SOS to discover this information.
If you can’t find the Registered Agent information there, you can request it from the Secretary of State.
What Happens if You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Montana Secretary of State website. You should use a Registered Agent service if you prefer that these personal details remain private.
- Someone must always be available during business hours at the Montana address to receive and sign for important documents and correspondence.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Montana. If you’re forming an LLC outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the MT Secretary of State for the new address. This isn’t necessary if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much more smooth.