Your Missouri Registered Agent provides various services, including the receival of formal documents and continued correspondence with the Missouri Secretary of State.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You’ll appoint one when you first formally register and form your business. You can also replace your existing Missouri Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new agents.
What Missouri Registered Agent Does
A Registered Agent’s main function in Missouri is to accept official documentation and correspondence.
- Correspondence from the Missouri Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
- Official state and federal government correspondence and notices
Having a Registered Agent also provides proof to the state that your business exists.
Incfile Provides Free Missouri Registered Agent Service for the First Year
Incfile provides complete Missouri Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s formed in the state. Even better, if you’ve formed your business through Incfile, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Missouri and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Registered Agent service provides:
Appointing a Registered Agent Service for Your LLC
When you first register and form your LLC, you must appoint a Registered Agent. You can change it at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business needs to have a Registered Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this two ways:
When you formally create your business, you’re required to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization.
Establish your business through Incfile, and you’ll get a free year of our Registered Agent service. We’ll also complete and file your Articles of Organization for you with the information that you provide.
Assign a Different Registered Agent After Formation
After you’ve formed your LLC, you can still assign someone else to be your Missouri Registered Agent. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, file a Statement of Change form with the Missouri Secretary of State. There is a fee of $10 to make this change.
When you use our Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and then send it to the Missouri SOS. We’ll let you know when we officially become your Registered Agent.
Missouri Registered Agent Search
IIn certain situations, it may be useful to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another LLC in Missouri. You can search the Missouri SOS using the business entity search to discover this information.
If you can’t find the Registered Agent information there, you can request it from the Missouri Secretary of State.
What Happens If You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent
You can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC if you have a physical address in Missouri, although there may be some drawbacks to this approach:
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Missouri Secretary of State's website. You should use a Registered Agent service if you prefer that these pertinent details remain private.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Missouri. If you’re forming an LLC outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- Someone must always be available during business hours at the Missouri address to sign for important documents and correspondence.
- If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the MO Secretary of State for the new address. This isn’t necessary if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much more smooth.