Learn About Minnesota Registered Agents for LLCs
Every business entity formed in Minnesota needs to formally appoint a person or business to act as a Registered Agent. Your Minnesota Registered Agent provides various services
to MN LLCs, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Minnesota Secretary of State.
Your LLC must have a Minnesota Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing MN
Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Minnesota LLC Registered Agent Rules
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Minnesota Registered Agent for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Minnesota.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Minnesota.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Minnesota, not a P.O. Box.
- The MN Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the MN Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Minnesota LLC business address.
The Purpose of a Minnesota Registered Agent
What can you expect from your Minnesota Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence from the MN Secretary of State. This
- Correspondence from the Minnesota Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your MN LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Minnesota state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
A Complete Minnesota Registered Agent Service from Incfile
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Minnesota and you need a MN Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Minnesota
business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Minnesota and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what you need to know about Incfile’s MN Registered Agent service:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf.
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Minnesota Secretary of State or anyone else.
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient.
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose.
More about Registered Agent service
How to Appoint a Minnesota Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Minnesota LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint a MN Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Minnesota LLC
Your business needs to have a Minnesota Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with the Minnesota Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the MN Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Minnesota Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Minnesota
Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your MN Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Change Your Minnesota Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your MN Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File a “Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent” Form with the Minnesota Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Minnesota Registered Agent, you can complete a Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent form that’s available on the MN Secretary of State
website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the secretary of state so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Minnesota Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our MN Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business,
complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Minnesota Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Minnesota Registered Agent service
Minnesota Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Minnesota LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the
Minnesota Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the MN Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Minnesota Secretary of State requesting the information.
The Problems Caused When You Don’t Appoint a Minnesota Registered Agent Service
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Minnesota Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
Falling out of good standing with the Minnesota Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states
may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Minnesota LLC: A MN Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business
entity protections and your Minnesota LLC may be dissolved.
You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Minnesota Registered Agent
If you have an address in Minnesota, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The MN Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Minnesota. If you’re forming an LLC outside MN, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Minnesota address to sign for important documents.
- The MN Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Minnesota Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and
address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Minnesota business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the MN Secretary of State for the new address if you act
as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Minnesota Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint a Minnesota Registered Agent?
Yes. All MN LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Minnesota Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign a Minnesota Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Minnesota business through paperwork filed with the MN Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form
your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Minnesota?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the
Minnesota Secretary of State.
Does My MN Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Minnesota?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Minnesota Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: