Getting a Maryland Registered Agent for Your LLC
Every business entity formed in Maryland needs to formally appoint a person or business to act as a Registered Agent. Your Maryland Registered Agent provides various services to MD LLCs, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from Maryland Business Express.
Your LLC must have a Maryland Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing MD Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
What Maryland Business Express Says About MD Registered Agents
In Maryland, a Registered Agent is formally known as a “Resident Agent.” We’ll use those names interchangeably in this guide. Their functions and requirements are identical to those of Registered Agents described above.
Rules for Maryland Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Maryland Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Maryland.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Maryland.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Maryland, not a P.O. Box.
- The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the MD Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Maryland LLC business address.
What to Expect From a Maryland Resident Agent Service
Your Maryland Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from MD Business Express on your behalf. This may include:
- Correspondence from Maryland Business Express, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Maryland LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Maryland and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
The Incfile Registered Agent Service for Maryland LLCs
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Maryland and you need a MD Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Maryland business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Maryland and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what the Incfile MD Registered Agent service provides for your LLC:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf.
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Maryland Business Registration Division or anyone else.
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient.
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose.
How to Appoint a Maryland Resident Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Maryland LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Maryland Resident Agent When You Form Your MD LLC
Your business needs to have a Maryland Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with Maryland Business Express
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with MD Business Express to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Maryland Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Maryland Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your MD Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate your business through Incfile
Change Your Maryland Resident Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your MD Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and Make the Change with Maryland Business Express
Once you’ve chosen a new Maryland Registered Agent, you can file an online update on the MD Business Express website.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Maryland Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our MD Registered Agent service, we take care of all the filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business and send it to Maryland Business Express. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.Order Incfile's Maryland registered agent service
Maryland Resident Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Maryland LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of Maryland Business Express, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the MD Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact Maryland Business Express to request the information.
Issues with Not Having a Maryland Resident Agent
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to Maryland Business Express? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with Maryland Business Express: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Maryland LLC: A MD Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Maryland LLC may be dissolved.
Acting as Your Own Resident Agent for Your MD LLC
If you have an address in Maryland, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The MD Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Maryland. If you’re forming an LLC outside MD, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Maryland address to sign for important documents.
- The MD Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Maryland Business Express website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you might choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Maryland business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with MD Business Express for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Maryland Registered Agents
Yes. All MD LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by Maryland Business Express.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Maryland business through MD Business Express or afterward by filing online. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to Maryland Business Express.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Maryland Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: