Filing Your Certificate of Good Standing

What is a Certificate of Good Standing?

A Certificate of Good Standing is an official document issued by your state’s secretary of state office to verify that your business is compliant within the state of incorporation and therefore is in “good standing.” Just like having a driver’s license or other forms of personal ID, a Certificate of Good Standing proves that your LLC or corporation is officially registered and authorized to operate in your home state.

Other names for a Certificate of Good Standing

Certificate of Existence

Certificate of Authorization

Certificate of Status

Also known as a Certificate of Existence, Certificate of Authorization, or a Certificate of Status, the Good Standing Certificate is a one-page document provided by the secretary of state and provides conclusive evidence of the status of your business entity. In many cases it can be valid up to three months.

When do you need a Certificate of Good Standing?

In certain situations, you may be required to prove that your business exists and is in compliance with relevant laws and regulations. A Certificate of Good Standing from your state serves as this proof. A Certificate of Good Standing is often required in order to obtain a loan, renew a business license or to file your business taxes.

There are a few key reasons why your company might need a Certificate of Good Standing:

  • Other state governments as part of the process of applying for Foreign Qualification for your business to register to do business in states other than your home state
  • Lenders or banks that want to get proof of your business’s existence and business history as part of evaluating your creditworthiness for a loan or when carrying out certain types of transactions
  • Investors or business partners who want to make sure your business is legitimate and in compliance with laws and regulations
  • Licensing agencies and regulators — in order to renew or obtain certain permits and licenses
  • Business brokers or buyers — if you are seeking to sell your business and need to show proof of its existence, history and compliance

Simply put, the Certificate of Good Standing helps you prove that your business exists, and that you are a law-abiding business owner who complies with the rules. It helps enhance your trustworthiness and credibility with potential partners, investors and lenders. Obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing is a simple but sometimes necessary step in maintaining your business’s good reputation and branching out your business operations into new areas.

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing?

After you form your LLC or corporation, it’s important to stay up-to-date on filing your annual report, biennial report, or other required forms and compliance paperwork. To stay in good standing, your business needs to meet a few key requirements, depending on your company’s home state. These typically include:

  • Being up-to-date on annual or biennial fees to the secretary of state to register or renew your business
  • Filing annual or biennial reports
  • Paying any other necessary business fees or franchise taxes to state regulators

To get a Certificate of Good Standing, you’ll need to file the appropriate form with your state, or you can have Incfile file for you.

Help to Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing

Save your time. We'll handle the paperwork.

To obtain a Good Standing Certificate, the business entity must be registered as a legal entity with the secretary of state, and cannot be in default of corporate regulations, suspended or revoked by the state.

Incfile will handle the paperwork for your Certificate of Good Standing

Filing Your Certificate of Good Standing

$0Plus State Filing Fees

Common questions about filing a Certificate of Good Standing

Providing Everything You Need When You Need It

As your business grows we'll be there every step of the way to make sure that you have the resources at hand to service your companies ongoing needs.


Filed if a company requires changes to membership, addresses or company name.

Learn more


Used to formally terminate the existence of a entity.

Learn more

Foreign Qualification

Filed when you need to expand your entity to new states.

Learn more

Fictitious Business Name

Filed if a company requires assumed business/fictitious name.

Learn more