Registered Agents and Your Maine LLC
Your LLC must assign a Maine Registered Agent. This is a formally recognized person or business who can receive business correspondence and other documents from the Maine Secretary of State. Assigning a Registered Agent is a legal requirement.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Maine Registered Agent Rules
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Maine Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Maine.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Maine.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Maine, not a P.O. Box.
- The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Maine LLC business address.
What to Expect from a Maine Registered Agent Service
Your Maine Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the Secretary of State on your behalf. This includes:
- Correspondence from the Maine Secretary of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Maine LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Maine and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
A Complete Maine Registered Agent Service from Incfile
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Maine and you need a Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Maine business. We’ll even act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Maine and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what the Incfile Maine Registered Agent service provides for your LLC:
- An always-available Maine Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
- Your first year free ($119 a year after) whether you incorporate through Incfile or not
Appointing a Registered Agent Service for Your Maine LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Maine LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint a Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Maine LLC
Your business needs to have a Registered Agent service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Certificate of Formation with the Maine Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Formation. This is the form that you file with the ME Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Maine Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Formation based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Maine Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate Your Business Through Incfile
Assign a Different Maine Registered Agent Service After Incorporation
You can also change your Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent, or Both with the Maine Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can complete a form that’s available on the ME Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State so they can update your records.
Sign up for Incfile’s Maine Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our ME Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Maine Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.Order Incfile's Maine Registered Agent Service
Maine Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Maine LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Maine Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Maine Secretary of State requesting the information.
Possible Outcomes of Not Assigning a Registered Agent for Your Maine LLC
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Maine Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Maine Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Maine LLC: A Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your LLC may be dissolved.
Acting as Your Own Registered Agent for Your ME LLC
If you have an address in Maine, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Maine. If you’re forming an LLC outside ME, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Maine address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Maine Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Maine business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the ME Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Maine Registered Agents
Yes. All ME LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Maine Secretary of State.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Maine business through paperwork filed with the Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Maine Secretary of State.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Maine Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: