Louisiana Registered Agents and Your LLC
Every business entity formed in Louisiana needs to formally appoint a person or business to act as a Registered Agent. Your Louisiana Registered Agent provides various services for your LLC, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Louisiana Secretary of State.
Your LLC must have a Louisiana Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing LA Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Rules for Louisiana Registered Agents
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Louisiana Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Louisiana.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Louisiana.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Louisiana, not a P.O. Box.
- The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the LA Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Louisiana LLC business address.
What to Expect from a Louisiana Registered Agent Service
What can you expect from your Louisiana Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence from the LA Secretary of State. This includes:
- Correspondence from the Louisiana Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LA LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Louisiana state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
The Incfile Registered Agent Service for Louisiana LLCs
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Louisiana and you need a Louisiana Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Louisiana business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Louisiana and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what you need to know about Incfile’s LA Registered Agent service:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf.
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Louisiana Business Registration Division or anyone else.
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient.
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose.
How to Appoint a Louisiana Registered Agent for Your LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Louisiana LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Louisiana Registered Agent When You Form Your LA LLC
Your business needs to have a Louisiana Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with the Louisiana Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the LA Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Louisiana Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Louisiana Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your LA Registered Agent in the form that we file.Incorporate your business through Incfile
Change Your Louisiana Registered Agent After Your LLC Is Formed
You can also change your LA Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form Notice of Change of Registered Office and/or Change of Registered Agent with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
Once you’ve chosen a new Louisiana Registered Agent, you can complete form that’s available on the LA Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the secretary of state so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Louisiana Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our LA Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete form on your behalf and send it to the Louisiana Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.Order Incfile's Louisiana registered agent service
Louisiana Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Louisiana LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Louisiana Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the LA Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Louisiana Secretary of State requesting the information.
Issues with Not Having a Louisiana Registered Agent
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Louisiana Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Louisiana Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Louisiana LLC: A Louisiana Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your LA LLC may be dissolved.
Assigning Yourself as the Louisiana Registered Agent for Your LLC
If you have an address in Louisiana, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The LA Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Louisiana. If you’re forming an LLC outside LA, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Louisiana address to sign for important documents.
- The LA Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Louisiana Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you might choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Louisiana business address or move out of state, you would need to file additional documentation with the LA Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Louisiana Registered Agents
Yes. All LA LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Louisiana Secretary of State.
You can either do it when you incorporate your Louisiana business through paperwork filed with the LA Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Louisiana Secretary of State.
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Louisiana Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: