Your Louisiana Registered Agent provides various services, including the acceptance of formal documents and correspondence from the Louisiana Secretary of State (LA SOS).
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times, and you must appoint one when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing Louisiana Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new agents.
Note that the address for your Louisiana Registered Agent does not need to be the same as your Louisiana LLC business address.
What a Louisiana Registered Agent Does
A Registered Agent’s primary job is to accept official documentation and correspondence.
- Communication from the LA SOS
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
Incfile Provides Free Louisiana Registered Agent Service for the First Year
Incfile provides complete Louisiana Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s formed in the state. Even better, if you form your business through Incfile, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Louisiana and can legally act as your Registered Agent. Here’s what our Registered Agent service provides:
Appointing a Registered Agent Service for Your LLC
When you first form your LLC, you must appoint a Registered Agent. You can change it at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign a Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business needs to have a Registered Agent as soon as it’s formed. You can do this two ways:
When you formally file the Articles of Organization to create your business, you’re required to include details of your Registered Agent.
When you start your business through us, you’ll get a free year of our Registered Agent Service, and we’ll use the information you provide to complete and file your Articles of Organization for you.
Assign a Different Registered Agent After Formation
You can also change your Louisiana Registered Agent after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, complete the Notice of Change of Registered Office and/or Change of Registered Agent form available on the LA SOS website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State with a fee payment of $25 so they can update your records.
When you use our Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf, and send it to the LA SOS. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Louisiana Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you may want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another LLC in Louisiana. This information is available in the state's business database.
If the Registered Agent isn’t available there, you can request it through the Secretary of State.
What Happens If You Don’t Have a Registered Agent?
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Louisiana. If you’re forming an LLC outside the state, you’ll need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Louisiana address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and address not be published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the LA Secretary of State for the new address. This won't be necessary if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.