Why Your Kentucky LLC Needs a Registered Agent
The Kentucky Secretary of State requires every KY LLC to have a Registered Agent. Once you have assigned a Kentucky Registered Agent, they can receive official correspondence and documents on behalf of your KY business. Registered Agents can be individuals or other specialized Registered Agent service businesses.
Your LLC must have a Kentucky Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing KY Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
Registered Agent Rules in Kentucky
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Kentucky Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Kentucky.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Kentucky.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Kentucky, not a P.O. Box.
- The KY Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the KY Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Kentucky LLC business address.
Services Provided by a Kentucky Registered Agent
Your Kentucky Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the KY Secretary of State on your behalf. This may include:
- Correspondence from the Kentucky Secretary of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Kentucky LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Kentucky and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
A Complete Kentucky Registered Agent Service from Incfile
If you have an LLC that’s incorporated in Kentucky and you need a KY Registered Agent, we can help. Incfile provides a complete Registered Agent service for any Kentucky business. If you form your business through Incfile, we’ll act as your Registered Agent free for your first year (normally a $119 annual cost).
We are authorized to conduct business in Kentucky and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what you need to know about Incfile’s KY Registered Agent service:
- The Registered Agent will always be available to accept documents and letters on your behalf.
- We automatically notify you whenever we receive correspondence for your business from the Kentucky Secretary of State or anyone else.
- We scan your correspondence and upload it to a dashboard, so you can review it when convenient.
- We forward all correspondence to an address you choose.
Order Incfile’s Kentucky Registered Agent service
Your Options for Appointing a Kentucky Registered Agent
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Kentucky LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint a KY Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Kentucky LLC
Your business needs to have a Kentucky Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Articles of Organization with the Kentucky Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Articles of Organization. This is the form that you file with the KY Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Kentucky Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Articles of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Kentucky Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your KY Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Assign a Different Kentucky Registered Agent Service After Incorporation
You can also change your KY Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File a Form with the Kentucky Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Kentucky Registered Agent, you can complete a form. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the secretary of state so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Kentucky Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our KY Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Kentucky Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Kentucky Registered Agent service
Kentucky Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Kentucky LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Kentucky Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the KY Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Kentucky Secretary of State requesting the information.
The Problems Caused When You Don’t Appoint a Kentucky Registered Agent Service
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Kentucky Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Kentucky Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Kentucky LLC: A KY Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Kentucky LLC may be dissolved.
Assigning Yourself as the Kentucky Registered Agent for Your LLC
If you have an address in Kentucky, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The KY Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Kentucky. If you’re forming an LLC outside KY, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Kentucky address to sign for important documents.
- The KY Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Kentucky Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Kentucky business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the KY Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Kentucky Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint a Kentucky Registered Agent?
Yes. All KY LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Kentucky Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign a Kentucky Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Kentucky business through paperwork filed with the KY Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Kentucky?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Kentucky Secretary of State.
Does My KY Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Kentucky?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Kentucky Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: