Iowa Registered Agents for LLCs
Your IA LLC is legally required to have an Iowa Registered Agent. Your Registered Agent is a person or a business who is formally recognized by the Iowa Secretary of State to accept business documents and correspondence on behalf of your company.
Your LLC must have an Iowa Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing IA Registered Agent at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
IA Registered Agents: The Rules You Need to Follow
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing an Iowa Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Iowa.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Iowa.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Iowa, not a P.O. Box.
- The IA Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the IA Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Iowa LLC business address.
What an IA Registered Agent Does
Your Iowa Registered Agent carries out several valuable services for your business. They accept official communications and documents from the IA Secretary of State on your behalf. This may include:
- Correspondence from the Iowa Secretary of State, like a notice to file reports and other forms
- Service of process documents (for example, if your Iowa LLC has legal proceedings issued against it)
- Official Iowa and federal government documents, form filings and requests for information (including taxes, permits and company filings)
The Incfile Registered Agent Service for Iowa LLCs
Incfile provides a complete Iowa Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s incorporated in IA. Even better, if you choose to incorporate your Iowa business through Incfile, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first year and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Iowa and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what the Infile Iowa Registered Agent service provides for your IA LLC:
- An always-available Iowa Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Iowa business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your Iowa business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
Order Incfile’s Iowa Registered Agent service
Appointing an IA Registered Agent Service for Your Iowa LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Iowa LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Appoint an IA Registered Agent Service When You Create Your Iowa LLC
Your business needs to have an Iowa Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Certificate of Organization with the Iowa Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Organization. This is the form that you file with the IA Secretary of State to formally create your business.
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Iowa Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Organization based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Iowa Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your IA Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Assign a Different Iowa Registered Agent Service After Incorporation
You can also change your IA Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File a Form with the Iowa Secretary of State
Once you’ve chosen a new Iowa Registered Agent, you can complete a form. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of State so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Iowa Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our IA Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business, complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Iowa Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Iowa Registered Agent service
Searching for IA Registered Agents for Other LLCs
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Iowa LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of the Iowa Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the IA Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Iowa Secretary of State requesting the information.
The Problems Caused When You Don’t Appoint an Iowa Registered Agent Service
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Iowa Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications, including:
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
Falling out of good standing with the Iowa Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as an Iowa LLC: An IA Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business entity protections and your Iowa LLC may be dissolved.
You Can Appoint Yourself as Your Own Iowa Registered Agent
If you have an address in Iowa, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The IA Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Iowa. If you’re forming an LLC outside IA, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Iowa address to sign for important documents.
- The IA Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Iowa Secretary of State's website. If you would prefer your name and address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Iowa business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the IA Secretary of State for the new address if you act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Iowa Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint an Iowa Registered Agent?
Yes. All IA LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Iowa Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign an Iowa Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Iowa business through paperwork filed with the IA Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Iowa?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you just need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to the Iowa Secretary of State.
Does My IA Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Iowa?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Iowa Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: