Idaho Registered Agents for LLCs
The Idaho Secretary of State requires every LLC to have a Registered Agent. Once you have assigned an Idaho Registered Agent, they can receive official
correspondence and documents on behalf of your ID business. Registered agents can be individuals or other specialized Registered Agent service businesses.
Your LLC must have a Registered Agent at all times. You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first start your business. You can also replace your existing ID Registered Agent
at a later date, provided there is a smooth transition between the old and new Registered Agent service.
What the Idaho Secretary of State Says About Registered Agents
Here’s some important information from the Idaho Secretary of State on Registered Agent services.
“You can, as an individual, act as your own Registered Agent if you have an Idaho physical address. Or, you may use another legal business entity who is filed with
our office with an Idaho physical address, but not your own entity.
There is typically a fee associated with the representation services that Registered Agents provide. You must contact the company of your choice and enter into an agreement
for representation before listing them as your Registered Agent.”
Idaho Registered Agent Requirements
There are certain rules that you must follow when you’re appointing a Idaho Registered Agent service for your business. They are:
- If the Registered Agent is a person, they must reside in Idaho.
- If the Registered Agent is a business, they must be able to conduct business in Idaho.
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Idaho, not a P.O. Box.
- The Registered Agent must be available in person during normal business hours to sign for any correspondence.
Note that the Registered Agent address does not need to be the same as your Idaho LLC business address.
Services Provided by a Idaho Registered Agent
What can you expect from your Idaho Registered Agent? Their main function is to accept official documents and correspondence. This includes:
- Correspondence from the Idaho Secretary of State
- Service of process notices (e.g., if your LLC is sued or required to appear in court)
- Official Idaho state and federal government correspondence and notifications
- Tax forms and requests to complete permits, company filings and reports
Incfile Provides a Free Idaho Registered Agent Service for the First Year
Incfile provides a complete Idaho Registered Agent service for any LLC that’s incorporated in ID. Even better, your Registered Agent is completely free for the first
year—whether you incorporate with Incfile or not—and only $119 a year after that.
Incfile is authorized to conduct business in Idaho and can legally act as your Registered Agent.
Here’s what the Incfile Idaho Registered Agent service provides for your LLC:
- An always-available Idaho Registered Agent who can receive correspondence, documents and legal proceedings on your LLC’s behalf
- A digital dashboard where you can access, store and retrieve any information we’ve received for your Idaho business
- Email notification whenever we receive documents for your business
- Automatic forwarding of all legal correspondence, documentation and information directly to you
- Your first year free ($119 a year after), whether you incorporate with Incfile or not
Order Incfile’s Idaho Registered Agent service
Appointing a Registered Agent Service for Your Idaho LLC
You can appoint a Registered Agent when you first incorporate your Idaho LLC or at any point after that. Here’s how to go about it.
Assign Your Idaho Registered Agent When You Form Your LLC
Your business needs to have a Idaho Registered Agent Service as soon as it’s formed. You can achieve this through one of the following methods.
File Certificate of Formation with the Idaho Secretary of State
You will need to include details of your Registered Agent in your Certificate of Formation. This is the form that you file with the ID Secretary of State to formally create your
Incorporate Through Incfile and Get a Free Idaho Registered Agent
When you incorporate through us, we complete and file your Certificate of Formation based on the information you’ve provided. Additionally, we give you a free Idaho
Registered Agent service for the first year, and we’ll include details of your Registered Agent in the form that we file.
Incorporate your business through Incfile
Assign a Different Idaho Registered Agent Service After Incorporation
You can also change your Registered Agent service after you’ve formed your LLC. There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
Choose a Registered Agent Service and File Form Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent, or Both with the Idaho Secretary of
Once you’ve chosen a new Registered Agent, you can complete a form that’s available on the ID Secretary of State website. Once you’ve filled it out, send it to the Secretary of
State so they can update your records.
Sign Up for Incfile’s Idaho Registered Agent Service and We’ll File the Change on Your Behalf
When you choose to use our ID Registered Agent service, we take care of all the form filling and filing for you. We’ll collect important information about your business,
complete the form on your behalf and send it to the Idaho Secretary of State. We’ll let you know once we officially become your Registered Agent.
Order Incfile’s Idaho Registered Agent service
Idaho Registered Agent Search
In some situations, you might want to know the name of the Registered Agent that represents another Idaho LLC. If you do, you can search the business database of
the Idaho Secretary of State, which will often provide details of a specific business’s Registered Agent.
If the Registered Agent isn’t available from the searchable business registry, contact the Idaho Secretary of State requesting the information.
The Problems Caused When You Don’t Appoint an Idaho Registered Agent Service
What happens if you choose not to assign or provide details of a Registered Agent to the Idaho Secretary of State? There are several possible ramifications,
- Getting served or sued and not finding out about it: If your LLC is sued and you don’t know about it, you could lose to a default judgment in your absence.
- Falling out of good standing with the Idaho Secretary of State: If you don’t respond to certain correspondence (like the request for your annual
report), certain states may revoke your right to do business.
- Losing your status as a Idaho LLC: A Registered Agent “proves” to the state that your business exists. Without it, you could lose your business
entity protections and your LLC may be dissolved.
Assigning Yourself as the Idaho Registered Agent for Your LLC
If you have an address in Idaho, you can choose to be the Registered Agent for your LLC. We don’t recommend this approach as there can be some drawbacks:
- The Registered Agent must have a physical street address in Idaho. If you’re forming an LLC outside ID, you will need to use an in-state Registered Agent.
- You always need to have someone on hand during business hours at the Idaho address to sign for important documents.
- The Registered Agent’s name and address are part of the public record and available through the Idaho Secretary of State's website. If you prefer your name and
address aren’t published, you should choose a Registered Agent service.
- If you change your Idaho business address or move out of state, you need to file additional documentation with the ID Secretary of State for the new address if you
act as your own Registered Agent. This would not be the case if you use a Registered Agent service, making a move or address change much simpler.
FAQs About Idaho Registered Agents
Do I Need to Appoint a Idaho Registered Agent?
Yes. All ID LLCs are required to have a Registered Agent. This is mandated by the Idaho Secretary of State.
When Can I Assign a Idaho Registered Agent Service?
You can either do it when you incorporate your Idaho business through paperwork filed with the Secretary of State or afterward by filing the correct form. If you form
your business through Incfile, we will file all necessary forms on your behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Idaho?
Yes, but we don’t recommend it for the reasons listed above. If you still want to be your own Registered Agent, you need to fill in the correct forms and pay a fee to
the Idaho Secretary of State.
Does My Registered Agent Need to Have an Address in Idaho?
Yes. Additionally, if they are a business providing Registered Agent services, they must be legally able to conduct business in your state.
Useful Resources for Idaho Registered Agent Services
You might find these resources helpful: