Search for and Register Your Idaho LLC Name
Whether you’re searching for the right Idaho business name or registering your LLC with the ID Secretary of State, we can help. We’ve got all the information you need on a Idaho business entity search, LLC naming rules, fictitious names and registering your business.
Idaho Business Entity Search
You need to check whether there’s already another Idaho LLC registered with your desired business name. That means searching the Idaho Secretary of State website using their business search tool. You can easily look up LLCs and corporations by name and other details.
If the business name is already used, that means it’s not available and you won’t be able to register it. Try searching for a different business name instead.
Idaho Secretary of State business search tool
Idaho SOS Naming Rules for LLCs
Once you’ve decided on a name for your LLC and checked business name availability, you’ll need to meet Idaho Secretary of State naming rules.
Your LLC Business Name Must Be Unique
The business name you have chosen cannot be used by any other LLC or corporation in the state of Idaho. This is why you should check business name availability on the ID SOS website.
Your LLC Business Name Must Not Be Confusable with Another Business Name
It’s not enough for your LLC name to be unique. It also cannot be similar to the name of a corporation or LLC in Idaho. For example, you cannot use the following factors to say your name is different from the name of another business:
- Suffixes, such as Corporation, Company, Incorporated, Incorporation, Limited, Corp., Co., Inc., Ltd., LLC, etc.
- Definite articles like “A,” “And,” “An,” “&,” “The,” etc.
- The singular, plural or possessive forms of a word
- Abbreviations, punctuation, symbols, fonts, typefaces, etc.
Your LLC Business Name Must Contain Certain Words
All LLCs must have the words “Limited Liability Company,” “L.L.C.” or “LLC” in their name. These words should normally come at the end of the name.
Your LLC Business Name May Have Other General Restrictions
Most states will not allow you to form LLCs with names that:
- Are very similar to the name of a federal or ID agency or organization (e.g., FBI, FDA, Idaho Department of Revenue Administration, Idaho Police, Treasury, etc.)
- Suggest affiliation with a federal or state agency or organization
- Use the term “Olympic” or any terms that are trademarks of the Olympic organization
- Imply a purpose that would be illegal for your business to carry out
Idaho Assumed and “Doing Business As” (DBA) Names
You might choose to do business under a different name from your legal LLC name. In Idaho, doing business under a different name is known as a “Trade Name.” You might choose to use a different name from your ID formal LLC name for a variety of reasons.
For example, your LLC might be called Idaho Potato Processing Holding Company LLC and you have a brand called Northwestern Kettle Chips. You should file an assumed business name to let the Idaho Secretary of State know. In Idaho, you do that through the Cancellation or Amendment of Certificate of Assumed Business Name form, or you can have Incfile do it on your behalf through our Assumed Business Name service.
Incfile’s DBA Name service
Business Name Registration for Your Idaho LLC
Once you’ve searched for your Idaho business name, checked availability, followed the naming rules and decided whether you need a fictitious name, you can register your ID LLC name. There are a couple of ways to do this.
- If you don’t want to form your LLC right now, you can reserve the business name with the Idaho Secretary of State. You will need to complete an Application for Reservation of Name and file it with the ID SOS. You do not need to reserve a name if you are forming your business right away.
Idaho SOS LLC name reservation form
- If you’re ready to start your LLC, you can formally file your Certificate of Formation with the Idaho SOS, or let Incfile take care of it for you.
FAQs on Naming Your Idaho LLC
You might find the following answers useful.
How Do I Search for My Idaho LLC Business Name?
Just go to the business name search tool and enter your proposed business name. You can search the register of the Idaho Secretary of State, which will tell you if there are any ID corporations or LLCs with that name.
Are There Any Rules on Naming My Idaho LLC?
Yes. Most LLCs will be bound by general rules (applicable to all LLCs) and specific rules (applicable in the state of Idaho). We’ve detailed these rules above.
Can I Do Business Under a Different Name Than My LLC Name in Idaho?
Yes. Known as “assumed names,” “fictitious names,” “doing business as names” or “trade names,” you can choose to conduct business under a different name. Details are above.
Can I Reserve a Name for My Idaho LLC?
Yes. The Idaho Secretary of State allows you to reserve a name if you don’t want to start your business immediately. Details are above. If you are ready to start your business now, you do not need to reserve a name.
Additional Resources for Naming Your Idaho LLC
You might find these other resources helpful.
Trademarks and Service Marks
You must be careful that your Idaho LLC name does not infringe on the trademark or service mark of another business. The easiest way to make sure your proposed business name does not infringe is to carry out a trademark search through Incfile. If it doesn’t infringe, you can even register it as a trademark yourself.
Incfile Trademark Search and Registration service
Find the Perfect Name for Your Idaho LLC
The perfect business name can be elusive. We have a complete guide to choosing the right business name, but basically, you'll want to choose a name that will:
- Appeal to your customers
- Be memorable enough to stand out
- Best represent your product or services
- Not be used by another business
Incfile guide to choosing a business name