Quiet quitting, Zoom fatigue, burnout…whatever you want to call it, there are a lot of reasons to turn to a side gig to feel fulfilled. So many reasons, in fact, that the majority of Americans have some sort of side hustle in the works.
But starting a side hustle is easier said than done. Outside of finding the perfect gig you love, you also have to consider the startup costs, how much of your time it’ll take and whether or not you have the energy to try something new.
Before you start building your dream side business from the ground up, use these facts and figures (and the most recent data in our survey on the entrepreneurial mindset) to help prepare you for whatever comes your way.
Side Hustle Stats: An Overview
Whether you’re looking to start your first side hustle or turn your current side gig into a full-time job, the following statistics will help you better understand the side hustle industry as a whole.
- 93% of working Americans have some sort of side hustle. 
- 37% started a side business to pursue a passion. 
- 41% started a side hustle to spend more time doing things that bring them joy. 
- The most likely time Americans work on a side hustle is 5 p.m. - 9 a.m., followed by the weekends and the early mornings. 
- The biggest hurdles to starting a side hustle are making the time (30%), finding the right idea (28%) and not knowing the first step to make (14%). 
- 39% of Americans predict that having a side job will be the norm moving forward. 
The Money in Moonlighting
Depending on what side hustle you choose, the costs of starting a side gig can vary widely. However, so can the amount of money you can make. Here's how much the average American makes from side hustling and other fun facts:
- The average monthly income of a side hustle is $483. 
- 1 in 5 Americans report making over $15,000 a year from their side hustles. 
- Side hustlers said they would need to make an average of $4,500 a month to consider leaving their full-time job. 
- 44% of Americans have a side hustle to help cover their bills. 
- Millennials are more likely than older generations to take on a side hustle in order to grow their savings. 
Who's More Likely to Hustle?
Though the hustle doesn’t discriminate between genders or age groups, that doesn’t mean everyone is jumping on the side hustle bandwagon at the same rate. Want to join in on the fun? Check out these side hustle ideas for Gen Z, Millennials and women that are sure to help you rake in the dough.
- While women are more likely to have a side hustle than men (50% vs. 49%), men make more income from their side hustle. 
- Men spend an average of 2.3 more hours per week on their side hustle than women. 
- Women are the most likely to break into the side hustle game for the first time in 2021. 
- Millennials are most likely to have a side hustle at 61%, followed by Gen Z at 59% and Gen X at 36%. 
- 70% of Gen Z and 67% of Millennials are considering earning additional income with a side project in the coming year. 
Online vs. IRL Side Gigs
We all know that technology has changed much about how we live and work — including how we make money. And though the tried and true in-person side hustle is still a good option, there are also a lot of ways to make money online.
So whether you're looking to start making bank from home or just want to learn more about the most popular side hustles, the stats below will help break everything down.
- The most common online side hustles are taking online surveys, freelance work and selling items like clothing or furniture. 
- Popular in-person side hustles include home repair, landscaping, child care and substitute teaching. 
- Side hustlers with a website make more than side hustlers who don’t, no matter the income bracket. 
- 56% of the current freelance marketing falls under the transportation sector, such as rideshares or food delivery services. 
- 40% of side hustlers used an online platform to find work in 2021, a far cry from the 15% that did the same in 2015. 
If you’re daydreaming about starting a side business, now’s the perfect time to act. With the public consensus on your side and plenty of options, there’s never been a better time to chase your dreams. Once you’ve found a killer idea and want to get started, let us know and we can help you set up shop in the blink of an eye.
1. 93% of Working Americans Have A Side Hustle in 2022 - Insuranks.com
2. STUDY: Millions of Americans have a ‘side hustle’ to boost their incomes and pursue their passions - Vista
3. Shifting Side Hustle Statistics Reveal New Trends About How We Earn - Dollarsprout
4. Survey: Nearly 1 in 3 Side Hustlers Needs the Income to Stay Afloat - Bankrate
5. Zapier Report: 40% of Americans Have a Side Hustle in 2022
6. Great Expectations: Making Hybrid Work Work - Microsoft
7. The Great Realization - MBO Partners
8. 6 Things to Know About the U.S. Gigs & Side Hustles Market - MarketResarch.com