Tax Planning for Startups & New Businesses Forming a Corporation


Tax Planning for Startups & New Businesses Forming a Corporation

Table of Contents

Tax Planning for Startups & New Businesses Forming a Corporation

If you own a startup or have just formed a new corporation, you probably have a lot of questions about your company’s taxes. After all, the last thing you want is for your brand-new business to start out in trouble with the IRS. For a bit of guidance, we spoke with Mike Zeiter, CPA/PFS, financial planner, and owner of Foundations Financial Planning to go through some tax implications and offer a handful of tax planning tips for the newly incorporated.

Know How You Will Be Taxed

After you’ve formed a corporation, you need to understand how your business will be taxed. This will be different depending on what entity you formed:

Partnerships, LLCs and S Corps: For a partnership, LLC, or S Corp, corporate profits and losses will be reported on the personal income tax returns of the shareholders. Because these types of corporations are known as pass-through entities, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) they’re eligible for up to a 20% deduction on qualified business income.

C Corps: C Corps are subject to corporate income tax. While partnerships, LLCs, and S Corps are considered pass-through entities and taxed accordingly, having a C Corp means your business will be treated as a completely separate taxpayer from its owners. This can lead to "double taxation:" where the company itself is taxed on corporate profits, and personal income of the owners is taxed separately on their own return.

Need Help With Taxes, Accounting & Bookkeeping?  Subscribe to Our Annual Financial Services Today. Learn More

Know Whether Income Is Subject to Self-Employment Tax

Many business owners aren’t aware that their business income may be taxed at the 15.3% rate for self-employment tax and then taxed again as income at their normal tax rate, explains Zeiter.

However, there is an option for saving on your taxes (to an extent). If your business is set up as an S Corp, you can classify some of your income as a salary and some as a distribution. You’ll only need to pay self-employment tax on the income you earn as an employee; income classified as a distribution will be taxed at the ordinary rate.

Don’t Forget About Payroll and Sales Taxes

If you’ve set up your business as an S Corp with employees, you’ll need to get a payroll system set up to make payroll tax payments, advises Zeiter. And if your business sells a product (and/or offers a service in some states), you’ll also need to set up sales tax payments. The rules vary by city, county, and state, so make sure to do thorough research to see exactly what payments and rates you need to use.

Stress-Free Payroll Is Just a Click Away

Running a business is complicated, especially if you're a first-time small business employer. Don’t get overwhelmed — get the help and support you need to accurately and efficiently calculate payroll taxes. Our free employer tax calculator simplifies the process and reduces the legwork and hassle of doing it all yourself.


As an employer you’re responsible for the following taxes:

  • Social Security Tax $-
  • Medicare Tax $-
  • FUTA $-
Total annual cost to hire this employee: $-

Tired of calculating paychecks on your own?

Make running payroll easier with Incfile.

Keep Detailed Records

Zeiter also tells us that it's crucial to keep extremely detailed and organized records in preparation for tax time. “You cannot estimate your tax liability just by looking at your bank account and seeing if your balance is higher or lower than the last month,” he says. Make sure to save your receipts, either by keeping electronic copies or making a file for each year.

You’ll also want to keep your business and personal expenses separate. Open a separate business checking account, and put all your business-related expenses on a single credit card (different from your personal one). Mixing personal and business finances will only lead to headache-inducing confusion, extra work, a greater chance of error...and potentially missing valuable deductions.

Set Aside Net Income for Quarterly Taxes

If your startup or new business is set up as an S Corp, LLC, or partnership, remember that as a pass-through entity, you’ll be taxed at your individual tax rate. But this doesn't mean you're off the hook for paying estimated taxes every quarter. Make sure you set aside some of your earnings to pay these or adjust your payroll withholding to cover the additional tax you owe from your S Corp income.

“This would be similar to someone who has a job and a side business,” says Zeiter. “If the side business is going to cause them to owe extra taxes, instead of making quarterly payments, they could adjust their withholding from their paycheck to cover extra tax owed.”

A good practice is to set aside at least 25% of your net income each month to cover your quarterly taxes. “Twenty-five percent is not going to be your exact tax rate, but it’s a good estimate for most businesses,” says Zeiter. To keep your hands off of this cash, you can even keep it in a separate bank account. Make sure to send in your payment each quarter to avoid penalties!

Have questions about how to plan for taxes after your new business or startup has become incorporated? We’re here to help. You can speak to a representative at Incfile’s business taxes service for professional, personalized advice and even get assistance filing your business taxes.

Please note: This post contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links.


Bookkeeping & Accounting | Incfile
Paper List

Like What You're Reading?

Get fresh monthly tips to start & grow your LLC.

Related Articles

  • The Only Cheat Sheet for LLC Expenses + Taxes You Need
  • ​Do LLCs Get a 1099 During Tax Time?
  • What Tax Forms Do I Need to File as an LLC?
  • 30 Profitable Food Truck Ideas for the Bootstrapped Entrepreneur
  • Commonly Overlooked Tax Deductions and Credits That Should Be on Your Radar
  • S Corp vs. C Corp: Differences and Benefits of Each
  • 15 Items You Can Easily Flip for $100-$5,000 in Profit a Month
  • 20 Businesses You Can Start with $1,000
  • 5 Virtual Address Services for Your Small Business
  • How to Pay Yourself From an LLC
  • 15 U.S. States with the Lowest State Fee to Start a Business Today
  • Side Hustles for Teens: 20 Ideas to Get Started
  • The ‟Golden Rules” for Naming Any Business
  • So You Moved? Follow This Guide to Moving Your LLC to Another State
  • LLC vs. Sole Proprietorship: Which One Is Right for Your Small Business?
  • PLLC vs. LLC: What You Need to Know
  • 8 Words to Avoid When Naming Your LLC
  • Can You Have Multiple Businesses Under One LLC? What Are the Rules?
  • If You're Not a U.S. Citizen, Can You Get an EIN for Your Business?
  • NAIC Codes: What They Are + How to Find Yours