A solid email contact list is gold for email marketing, and the importance of your list can’t be understated when it comes to your success. Having a solid email growth strategy will not only increase trust and engagement with your brand, but generate leads, too.
Below are 15 strategies to help you grow your email list, as well as build and strengthen the value you provide to your subscribers.
Social Media Tactics
Here are some ways to maximize your opportunity to gain email subscribers through your social media platforms.
- Promote a strong lead-gen offer. Accounts such as Twitter can generate qualified leads at a lower cost than most of the other major ad platforms. Execute a Twitter campaign to promote a service or product to your followers that requires an email address to redeem. Or, you could use your Facebook page to promote an offer that requires an email address to enter.
- Add a call-to-action button on the top of your Facebook page. Page admins can select from a group of call-to-action buttons to display at the top of their page. This is a simple, yet effective add-on.
- Publish links to gated offers on your LinkedIn page or in a relevant LinkedIn group discussion. Participating in group discussions and sharing content can help you grow your company’s reach as you establish yourself as a thought leader. From there, you’ll have the ability to introduce interesting and helpful materials, such as an eBook or webinar. In turn, you’ll convert these appropriate group member prospects into leads.
It may sound counterintuitive, but email is one of the most useful avenues for building a list, especially using the initiatives below.
- Encourage current subscribers to share your content by including sharing buttons in your email. Also include your “subscribe” call-to-action as a simple text-based link, so those who see the email can easily opt-in.
- Launch an online contest. When you offer giveaways, people are more likely to enter their email for a greater chance of winning.
- Offer multiple email subscription types. Allow users some flexibility with their subscription. For example, offering an option to receive emails once a week or once a month instead of every day helps readers decide to stay subscribed.
- Refresh a stale email list with an opt-in campaign. Opt-in campaigns are an email marketing and deliverability best practice, and they can be used as a simple reminder of what your email program offers. Use this as an opportunity to restate your value.
- Add a link to your employees’ signatures. You can, and should, include one useful link in your company email signature — why shouldn’t it be an opt-in to your email campaigns? Phrase your “link” as call-to-action in one or two lines. You can also use link tracking to see who’s clicking on it, which can help you test the effectiveness.
Content Marketing Tactics
Your content needs to be relevant, valuable and interesting. Below are a few ideas to help develop content aimed at growing your email list.
- Create a new lead-gen offer. What you offer your customer depends on what they value. Do they value tips and tricks for success from thought leaders? Help videos that are easily digestible? A step-by-step document that simplifies a complicated process? Creating value for your customers will help you receive valuable leads in return.
- Create a free, online tool or resource. Require an email address upon download of the tool or resource (this is called gated content). Resources like ebooks or infographics can make your customers more successful. If your subscribers find your tools truly helpful, they will develop a loyalty to your brand (increasing the chance that they’ll share out to their networks).
There can be real value in partnership. You’re delivering all participants more visibility, credibility, market reach and sales success than you could achieve independently. Here’s how to help leverage email growth in a partnership opportunity.
- Host a co-marketing offer with a partner, such as a webinar. Ask your partner to promote the registration to their audience. After the webinar is over, swap leads.
- Include a call-to-action to subscribe to your site’s blog or your email list when creating content for guest blogging opportunities.
Traditional Marketing Tactics
Getting back to the basics!
- Collect email addresses at offline events. Host your own offline, in-person event — maybe you offer a giveaway at a tradeshow. Require an email address for entry.
- Encourage prospects to opt-in for email communications in a direct mail campaign or other traditional marketing method. Be sure the URL is shortened (use a vanity URL), and consider using UTM codes to track.
- Leverage paid search ads. Paid search is a powerful way for your business to drive traffic to your website and capture potential leads. This way, your potential customers will see your ads only when they’re searching for the products and services you offer.
Looking for more marketing tips? Check out Incfile’s blog to learn more about topics such as improving customer relationships and increasing customer loyalty. Once you’ve grown your email list (and your business), Incfile can also help manage your company with our robust suite of helpful services.