The list of to-dos can be long when it comes to starting your own business — but each step is just as important as the last. When it comes to choosing the right name for your new company, the sheer number of options can seem overwhelming. Choosing a name is a creative decision, and using a business name generator is one way to help you find a name that fits by making the process easier and faster.
There are many things to consider when choosing a name, and although a business name generator can help you get inspired, you should also consider the following guidelines before you make your final decision:
- Be literal: The function and meaning if your business should be apparent in its name so as not to confuse your audience. Test your name with people in and out of your industry through in-person discussions or an online survey. If they don’t understand it right away, it may not be the right name.
- Go with sound over appearance: Once you’ve selected your top name ideas, say each of them out loud. How do they sound? Do they sound as good or better than they look in print? Are they difficult to say, or memorable and catchy?
- Check availability: Once you’ve selected your name, do a quick search to make sure it’s not already taken by another business. Otherwise, you could find yourself in some legal trouble while also confusing your customers. You can check your name against the United States Patent and Trademark Office, or use Incfile’s Trademark Search and Registration service.
Free Business Name Generators
To help you get started, we’ve found eight free business name generators that will help you think outside the box when it comes to naming your business.
- BizNameWiz is a creative name generator based on entered words and phrases. The platform delivers thousands of name ideas for your business. You can then use filters to find trending names and sort by industry. The website also offers additional guidance by asking questions like this: “Think of your business from a future standpoint, are you staying local or planning to go worldwide?” Business Name Generator is the sister website to BizNameWiz and has similar capabilities.
- Dot-O-Matoris a title generator that creates randomized company names and URLs based on adjectives and business types. The platform uses “beginnings” and “endings” columns to help generate names. You enter your word(s) in the “beginnings” box, choose some “endings” (or type your own) and then click to combine them. If you see a name you like, you can save it for later on their “scratchbox.” The website also has category drop-downs to help get the creative juices flowing.
- Lean Domain Searchonly generates name options that are available right now. This means you won’t fall in love with a name and find out it’s already taken.
- NameMesh.comis another name generating tool that will work for your business as well as an app or product you’re selling. The tool provides instant naming suggestions for keywords as you’re typing.
- Namesmithwill help you brainstorm business name ideas by generating up to 5 suggestions from keywords. The platform features many different name suggestion algorithms from your keywords, including adding suffixes/prefixes and creating fantasy names based on what you’ve entered. They also have a unique feature called “portmanteaus,” which generates purposeful misspellings from your keywords. For example, “smog” is coined by blending the words smoke and fog.
- NameStationallows you to enter a few keywords, and it will deliver thousands of combinations with synonyms, similar words, and categorized word lists. You can save your favorites and generate similar names. The platform also provides crowdsourced name contests where you can get the community to help you find the best business name. This is a unique feature that can help validate the name(s) you’re interested in.
- Shopifyis arguably one of the most popular ecommerce websites, and it also has a business name generator to search for names and check availability. Having the ability to check whether your business name is available immediately will help you secure the name of your choice before someone else does.
- Wordlabdelivers random two- to three-word names from a list of more than 7 million potential options. Users also have the ability to sign up for a free account, post topics in forums and get help or feedback from the Wordlab community.
No matter what type of business you’re starting — from freelance to ecommerce to brick-and-mortar — a name generator will help you discover unique and creative names you may have not been able to think up alone (and faster!). Once you’ve named your business, Incfile can help register your LLC to officially bring your company into existence.
Latest posts by Chris Keller (see all)
- Everything You Need to Know to Set up Your New Remote Business - March 8, 2019
- How to Become a Consultant - March 8, 2019
- Do You Need to Form a Business Entity for Your Cryptocurrency or Blockchain Business? - February 6, 2019