Table of Contents
6. Get Social
If you want your at-home clothing business to truly thrive, then you'll need to leverage the power of social media.
Not sure where to start? Many small clothing businesses find social media success on either Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, or — even better — a combination of the three.
When making your foray into Instagram marketing, for instance, you'd be smart to:
- Make an editorial calendar so you can plan your posting schedule in advance.
- Use Instagram's Stories feature so followers can see photos and videos of your clothes right at the top of their feed.
- Encourage engagement by replying to your followers, promptly answering any questions that come your way and networking with other small businesses.
- Use hashtags on all your posts (but only if they're relevant, of course). Hint: Don't be afraid to use hashtags you see on competitors' posts.
- Grow your follower base by asking friends and family members to follow. You can even send free clothing items to relevant influencers in order to catch their audience's attention.
- Create a variety of different content and take note of the type your audience responds best to. This could include product shots, customer features, behind-the-scenes sneak peeks and more.
You can branch out onto other platforms, too, depending on the type of content you want to create. What's important is that you make your brand accessible to as many potential customers as possible, and give them a positive experience to remember it by.
7. Implement Marketing and SEO Strategies
While establishing a social media presence is a marketing tactic in and of itself, you'll need to make additional marketing and SEO efforts if you want your small clothing business to be as successful and profitable as possible.
To begin, ensure that your brand has a strong online presence. For instance, you can:
- Make your website's design more user- and mobile-friendly.
- Respond to customer reviews.
- Start blogging on a regular basis.
- Improve the quality of your online content.
- Work on building your email list.
- Send out email newsletters.
Implementing an SEO strategy is also a must and will make it much more likely for potential customers to find your clothing business via Google and other search engines.
Some straightforward but powerful SEO tactics include:
- Practicing basic keyword optimization
- Organizing your website in a logical way
- Ensuring that all your product descriptions are accurate and detailed
- Adding internal links between your site's pages
- Creating meaningful content that's relevant to your business's niche
- Using smart link-building techniques
- Brushing up on current digital marketing trends
With marketing and SEO tactics such as those in place, you'll be able to build a strong reputation in the eyes of both search engines and customers.
8. Don't Forget About Bookkeeping
Taxes and bookkeeping may not be the most exciting part of running your own small clothing business, but it is one of the most important.
Whether you're operating as a sole proprietorship or you've filed an LLC, you'll need to file self-employment taxes. That means paying quarterly taxes that are based on your estimated income, which can be a daunting prospect if you're used to only paying taxes once per year.
And if you're just not a math person or would simply prefer to let a professional handle your clothing business's taxes and bookkeeping, Incfile's affordable Accounting and Bookkeeping service can help.
From finding your niche to setting up your website to filing your taxes, starting your own clothing business from home is a journey. But by breaking down the process into bite-sized steps, it doesn't have to be a difficult one. And when you make your first sale, we know you'll agree that it's worth it.
Want to make the setup process even simpler? With Incfile, you can easily file your LLC for $0 plus state fees — both your schedule and your wallet are sure to appreciate it.
Please note: This post contains affiliate links and we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links.