DIY Taxes or Hire a Professional? Why It Matters.


DIY Taxes or Hire a Professional? Why It Matters.

When it comes to filing your small business taxes, it all boils down to two options: following the DIY method and filing your own taxes or working with a professional, such as a CPA, qualified tax preparer or tax lawyer.

How do you decide? You'll want to consider a few things, such as how comfortable and confident you are with taking on the responsibility, how complicated or uncomplicated your tax situation may be and how knowledgeable you are with the filing process. Knowing how to file one’s own taxes is a great skill to have, but a business owner needs to be current with tax changes and updated on tax laws, as well as capable in working with the complex forms and filing involved. Anything less could prove to be costly, especially if a business owner does not maximize on their deductions.

So is following the DIY self tax preparation method worth it? Or would the cost of having an accountant or tax preparer help pay for itself, especially considering the service, experience and access to advice that comes with it. (Let’s also not forget that tax planning and preparing takes time, which can be as valuable to a business owner as money.) Taking all this into consideration, let’s break it down and see which of the two options would be best for you.

Need Help With Taxes, Accounting & Bookkeeping?  Subscribe to Our Annual Financial Services Today. Learn More

Is It Better to Do Your Taxes Yourself or Use a Professional?

When it comes to this question, small business owners need to consider a number of factors. Do they have the time to work on their taxes? (This includes keeping track of records, organizing documents and completing all the required tax forms.) Business owners need to be honest and ask themselves if they know enough when it comes to tax code, or, more simply, if they know what they are doing. Take a moment to assess your situation. How complicated are your taxes? If your business is a sole proprietorship or single-member LLC, odds are that your taxes will not be as complicated as a business juggling multiple employees, payroll, retirement accounts and insurance.

Although filing taxes on your own can help save a few hundred dollars, you can also risk leaving money on the table by overlooking credits and deductions. Small business owners need to always think of the financial health of their business, and unnecessarily shelling out money to the IRS takes capital away from a business. Another factor to consider is ensuring that your filing is error-free. Any mistake in your tax forms can cause problems. And the last thing you want is for the IRS to notify you of an error or omission in your filing. Some errors, as unintended as they might be, can raise a red flag and put a business in greater risk for an audit.

business tax return errors


Tax Software vs. Tax Professional

If your taxes are simple and you earn less than $72,000, you can file online directly on the IRS website for free. An estimated 100 million Americans are eligible for this tax preparation option though only 4.2 million Americans took advantage of the Free File program in 2019. The IRS also offers additional free support if you earn over $72,000 through their "free file fillable forms," though that would require some knowledge in filing tax forms.

Beyond using the IRS free filing options, there are a number of tax preparation software options available for small businesses, but they do come at a cost and you are still taking time away from your business to prepare and file your taxes. Three popular tax software options for small businesses include:

  1. Intuit TurboTax: Starting costs at $170 for federal and $50 per state
  2. H&R Block: Starting costs at $109.99 for federal and $44.99 per state
  3. Liberty Tax: Starting at $89.95 for federal and $34.95 per state

Although many tax software programs are easy to navigate, the reality is that each business differs when it comes to their tax situation and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. And many tax software programs do not come with a consultant on the other end to help answer questions and guide you through the process. Though they may be the way to go when it comes to a standard filling, complex filing associated with businesses require an added level of support that comes with the experience of a professional tax preparer.

Choosing a Tax Professional

We’ve established that following the DIY option can save you money, but it also opens you up to the risk or error and omissions, which, in the end, can result in lost credits and deductions or, worse yet, an unwanted call from the IRS informing you that there is an error in your filing. Although filing taxes using the DIY option may be a good plan for a single filer with a simple and basic return, a tax professional is often a better option to meet the needs of a small business owner whose taxes are more complicated. Not to mention that a professional will be up to speed with tax changes and can identify tax breaks that may have been overlooked if you filed using the DIY approach. And when it comes to error-free filling, a good professional tax preparer will help ensure the accuracy of your filling and even deal with IRS communications if any questions do happen to come up.



Other benefits of having a tax professional prepare your taxes include:

  • Ensures that you maximize your deductions and credits
  • Ensures the accuracy of your filing
  • Potential representation in case of IRS contact, even if the error is on the part of the IRS
  • Professional review of all your business expenses, including property, rent, leasing, investment, insurance, supplies and professional fees, such as tax preparation services
  • Close review of all your potential (cost-saving) deductions
  • Frees up your time so you can focus on your business

Taking all this into consideration, being a small business owner puts you in a separate category from individuals filing simple returns. Hiring a CPA can also help you with your tax planning, such as any expansion plans, buying new equipment or machinery or even selling off assets. According to the National Society of Accountants fee report, fees for a Form 1120 (corporation) or a Form 1120-S (S Corp) average $900. The average fee for a Form 1065 (partnership) can be $700. This can be a small price to pay to know that your tax returns are being prepared properly.

Getting the Right Support with Incfile

When it comes to the question of, "Should I file taxes myself or pay someone?" the answer for most small business owners will be clear. Go with professional help.

Running a business will take up a lot of your time and energy. Having a professional in your corner to help protect your business and investment is an important decision that every small business owner will need to make. In the end, you’ll need to conduct a cost-benefit analysis that would best serve your needs and the needs of your business.

Take the first step and go to Incfile for a free tax consultation. Incfile offers the support of bookkeepers and accountants that will help prepare, review and file sole proprietor, LLC, S Corporation and C Corporation business tax returns, ensuring that you meet the government’s filing requirements. Having a professional on your side will make sure that the process goes smoothly and will help avoid any costly missteps that may derail your small business.

Bookkeeping & Accounting | Incfile

Paper List

Like What You're Reading?

Get fresh monthly tips to start & grow your LLC.

Related Articles

  • 32 Side Hustles from Home That Pay More Than $100 an Hour
  • How to Pay Yourself as an LLC Owner
  • 15 Items You Can Easily Flip for $100-$5,000 in Profit a Month
  • A Giant List of Self-Employment Ideas
  • 11 Out-of-the-Box Side Hustles for Women to Make an Extra $1,000 a Month
  • What Is an LLC? Super-Simplified Infographic
  • If You're Not a U.S. Citizen, Can You Get an EIN for Your Business?
  • So You Moved? Follow This Guide to Moving Your LLC to Another State
  • Understanding DBAs and How They May Be Beneficial to Your Small Business
  • Are Non-U.S. Residents Allowed to Own a Corporation or LLC?
  • 15 U.S. States with the Lowest State Fee to Start a Business Today
  • How to Create and File an LLC for Free
  • Need a Physical Address for Your Business?
  • 5 Virtual Address Services for Your Small Business
  • LLC vs. S Corp: Which Is Right for Your Business?
  • S Corp vs. C Corp: Differences and Benefits of Each
  • Series LLC vs. LLC: Which One Do You Need?
  • 7 Home Business Ideas That Double as Tax Write-Offs
  • ​Do LLCs Get a 1099 During Tax Time?
  • ​Understanding When to Use LLC for Your Business