Form a Corporation in Alaska.

$0 + State Fee & 1st Year FREE Registered Agent

Start My Corporation
Trusted 5000

Choosing a Corporation Name

Corporation information in Alaska Your new Alaska corporation‘s name cannot be the same as or deceptively similar to the name of any other Alaska business entity registered or reserved with the state. It also is not permitted to be the same as any non-registered business name that has been established in common law by usage over a long period of time. The name must contain (at the end) the words “incorporated,” “corporation,” “limited,” or “company,” or an abbreviation of one of those terms.

The name may not include language that states or implies that the corporation is organized for some purpose other than stated in its articles of incorporation, or that it is a municipality (city, borough, or village). However, the name is allowed to contain the name of a municipality.

An available corporate name may be reserved for up to 120 days for $25. A proposed corporate name may be registered for an annual fee of $25. It is important to note that Alaska state law does not allow businesses to register fictitious or assumed (“doing business as”) names.

Articles of Incorporation

So that your Alaska corporation can actually start doing business in the state, you must file articles of incorporation with the Division of Banking, Securities, and Corporations in the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development (DCCED). The filing fee is $250, which includes a $100 biennial license fee that will be an ongoing requirement.

Your new LLC’s articles of incorporation must be signed by at least one person, called an incorporator, who must be at least 18 years old and a natural person (not a business entity). They must sign the articles and deliver them to the DCCED. The articles must include:

  • The corporation’s name
  • Its business purpose, which can be the general statement: “the transaction of any lawful business allowed by the Alaska Corporation Code”
  • The name of the corporation’s initial registered agent
  • The address of the corporation’s initial registered office
  • The address of the corporation’s principal office
  • Number of shares authorized for the corporation to issue (par value is not required to be designated)
  • Whether the corporation has any alien (non-US citizen or a person without permanent US resident status, or non-US legal entities) affiliates (corporate directors, officers, shareholders, and other persons or entities that control or are controlled by a corporate entity)
  • If the corporation has alien affiliates, their names and addresses
  • The primary and secondary North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code Standard Industrial Codes (SICs) that most clearly describe the initial activities of your corporation

Some other provisions that aren’t required-but which may be included in the articles of incorporation-are:

  • The names and addresses of all directors
  • Eligibility requirements to be a director
  • Circumstances where shareholders can be liable for corporate debts
  • Increased rights for or restrictions on shareholders, stock, or the board of directors
  • Provisions for managing the business and regulating the affairs of the corporation

If the initial articles do not name directors for the corporation, the incorporators may elect directors or amend the bylaws.

Registered Agent and Office

Alaska corporations must have a registered agent in the state-a person or office designated to receive official state administrative and legal correspondence. The agent must be either an adult who is a resident of Alaska whose business office is the same as the registered office, or it may be a corporation whose business office is the same as the registered office.


Bylaws lay out the corporation’s basic operating principles from both the managerial and legal perspectives. A corporation must keep its bylaws available at its principal executive office, but is not required to file them with the state. The incorporators or board of directors should adopt the corporation’s bylaws at their first meeting-insuring there is no conflict with the corporation’s articles of incorporation-and keep them updated as time goes on. Bylaws should include, at minimum:

  • What authority directors have, how many there are, and how long they serve
  • Duties and responsibilities of officers and how long they serve
  • How consensus on major decisions is reached, both with and without meetings
  • How, when, and where shareholders’ and directors’ meetings are held
  • How the corporation’s stock is issued
  • Requirements for publishing annual financial information to shareholders

Even though the corporation is not required to file its bylaws with the state, if the articles of incorporation don’t specify the number of directors, the bylaws must either state the exact number of directors or specify a minimum or maximum number of directors, along with the way that shareholder or board approval will determine the exact number at a specified later date.


The board of directors has the responsibility of making the corporation’s major decisions. There must be at least one director; the number should be specified in the bylaws unless it is already set forth in the articles of incorporation. If no number is specified in either document, the “default” number will be three. A change in the number of directors must be approved by a majority of the board, but such a change cannot shorten the term of any currently-serving director.

Titles and duties of the corporation’s officers must be either listed in the bylaws or determined by the board of directors. Any two or more offices may be held by the same person, except the offices of president and secretary. When all of the issued and outstanding stock of the corporation is owned by one person, the person may hold all or any combination of offices.

Requirement Reports

Each Alaska corporation must file a biennial (every two years) report with the state before January 2 of each filing year, along with a $100 biennial license fee. The first report must be within six months of organization, but does not require the $100 fee because it is included in the $250 fee at the time of incorporation. The report must include:

  • The corporation’s name and state or country of original incorporation
  • The name and address of its registered agent and registered office
  • The principal corporate address for foreign corporations
  • The nature of the corporation’s business
  • The names and addresses of the corporation’s directors and officers
  • An itemization of shares authorized to be issued by the corporation
  • An itemization of shares that have been issued to date
  • Information on all alien affiliates
  • The name, address, and ownership percentage of each shareholder who owns more than five percent of the corporation’s stock


Alaska imposes a corporate income tax similar to the federal corporate income tax, based on graduated tax rates. Alaska does recognize “S corporation” status.

Learn more about incorporating in Alaska

Filing Time & Price

State Fee :

State Filing Time :

Expedited Filing Time :

Compliance Requirements

Select the package that works best for you.



+ $250 (state fee)

show more

The Basics To Get You Started Preliminary company name clearance and filing of Articles of Organization.

FREE Registered Agent for 1st Year Registered Agent service includes 1 full
year not the typical 6 months that some
of our competitors advertise.

Lifetime Customer Support You get lifetime customer support and our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

show less

get started



+ $250 (state fee)

everything from silver+

show more

EIN / Tax ID Number Providing an EIN is required to open a
business bank account and is required to
file business tax returns.

Personalized Operating Agreement Includes most common provisions to protect members from liability

show less

get started

platinum package



+ $250 (state fee)

everything from
silver & gold+

show more

Expedited Filing Expedited processing speeds the turn- around time for your order.

Customized LLC Kit Personalized slip binder and embossed seal with your company name and date of formation.

FedEx Delivery Faster mailing option that includes a track number.

show less

get started

Commonly Asked Questions For Starting a Alaska Corporation

How is a Corporation Taxed?
Unlike many other business entities in which the profits pass through to the owners' personal tax return (e.g. LLCs, S Corporations, etc.), the C Corporation is a completely separate taxable entity. The C Corporation pays federal taxes on the net profits (after all expenses, including salaries and bonuses) of the business by filing the 1120 form with the IRS. The after tax profits can be paid out to the owners (shareholders) in the form of dividends, or retained for reinvestment of the business. The first $50,000 of net income is only federally taxed at 15% rate, and the next $25,000 is taxed at a 25% rate. Different states have different rules on how they tax corporations.
What is the Management Structure of an Corporation?
An LLC is typically managed by its members/owners (referred to as member-managed). In that respect an LLC is unlike a corporation, which has a much more rigid and defined management structure, including directors and officers. All owners of the LLC are typically referred to as members, and they can have control and voting interest proportional to their ownership interest, or in proportions different from their ownership interest; however the members agree.
Are Non-U.S. Residents Allowed to Own a Corporation or LLC?
There are no citizenship or residence requirements for ownership of a C Corporation or an LLC. The S Corporation however does not allow nonresident aliens to be shareholders (owner), but any US citizen or resident alien may be a shareholder (owner). You would, of course, require an in state street address for the state to forward official legal and tax correspondence including service of process, known as the registered agent address, but neither residency nor citizenship is required for ownership of a C Corporation or an LLC.
Can I form an Corporation with just one member?
There was a time when almost every state required the LLC to have two or more members, but that is no longer the case. This important change came in response to revised IRS regulations that clearly permitted single-member LLCs. As a result, in most states, if you plan to be the sole owner of a business and you wish to limit your personal liability, you can choose between forming a corporation or an LLC.
What is an Operating Agreement?
The operating agreement is akin to a partnership agreement for a General Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP). It is an internal contract amongst the members/owners of the LLC, and it lays out such things as ownership interest, member responsibilities, accounting method, adding or removing members, terms for concluding the LLC, etc. It is generally not required by a given state for forming an LLC (with the exception of New York), although it is certainly recommended. When dealing with private companies for financing issues (loans, mortgages, etc.) it may be required by that company. A customizable operating agreement is included with the LLC/Corp Kit.
Can another business entity be a member of an Corporation?

In the majority of states, The members of an LLC can be individuals, corporations, or other LLCs. These members of the LLC can be out of state residents or even foreign nationals. Furthermore there is no limit to the amount of members that an LLC can have.

The flexibility of an LLC in contrast to an S Corporation is stark considering the S corporations are limited to 75 shareholders who must either be United States citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents.

view all corporation faqs