Naming Your Alabama Limited Liability Company
You need the right name for your Alabama LLC. Choosing the right name is vital because it tells your suppliers, customers and employees what your business does. Alabama has several rules and regulations about what you can call your new business. Let’s explore what they are.
General Alabama Secretary of State Rules on Naming Your LLC
- The name needs to be unique and not used by another LLC or business operating in Alabama
- The name of your Alabama business must end with “Limited Liability Company,” “L.L.C.” or “LLC”
Don't Confuse Your Alabama Business Name With Another Business Name
- The following terms can’t be used to say your business name is different from another business name:
- Suffixes, such as Corporation, Company, Incorporated, Incorporation, Limited, Corp., Co., Inc., Ltd., LLC
- Definite articles like “A,” “And,” “An,” “&,” “The,” etc.
- The singular, plural or possessive forms of a word
- Punctuation and symbols
- Abbreviations of words
- Different typefaces, fonts, superscript, subscript, etc.
- It should not be possible to confuse the name of your business with the name of another Alabama business
- For example, you can’t claim that Blue Widget Co., Blue Widget LLC, Blue Widget Incorporated, Blue-Widget-Company or Blue Widget are different from one another
Rules on Words You Can’t Use in Your Business Name
- The Alabama LLC name can’t suggest affiliation with any federal or state government entity or agency.
- The Alabama LLC name may not imply a purpose that it would be unlawful for the business to conduct.
- You cannot use the following words as qualifiers in the overall Alabama LLC business name: "companies," "corporations," "incorporation," "unlimited," “limited partnerships."
Alabama Information on Naming an LLC
- You can reserve a name. Please note that you do not need to reserve a name if you are forming an LLC. By registering an LLC, the name will automatically be reserved for your business. You would normally only reserve a name if you are not planning on forming your new company anytime soon.
- A name can be used to form any type of business entity, not just an LLC.
- Just filing a name registration doesn’t guarantee you will be granted the name. You should wait until your LLC is formally created before using the name for anything else.
“Doing Business As (DBA)” Names
You can be an Alabama LLC with a different “doing business as” name, which needs to be registered with the Secretary of State. Learn about these types of names in your state.
Rules About Infringing on Service Marks or Trademarks Inside or Outside Alabama
In addition to the rules above, it’s also vital to see if your Alabama LLC name might infringe on the trademark or service mark of another business. For example, it might not be a good idea to call yourself “Google Search Optimization Services,” since Google is a trademark.
The easiest way to see if your proposed business name infringes is to carry out a trademark search. You can do that via the United States Patent and Trademark Office, or Incfile can help you protect your business with our new Trademark Search and Registration service. You should also bear in mind that your Alabama business entity name cannot be substantially similar to an existing trademark or service mark.
How to Search for Your Alabama Business Entity Name
Search the database of the Alabama Secretary of State for your proposed business name to see if it's unique. You can search for:
- Entity Name
- Entity Number
- Officer, Agent or Incorporator
- Month and Year
- Reservation or Registration by ID
What Should You Call Your Alabama LLC?
Finding the perfect name can be tough. You want a business name that:
- Describes what your Alabama business does
- Appeals to your planned audience
- Makes your business easy to find
- Is relatively unique
- Doesn’t limit you to a particular location or type of product or service
Fortunately, we’ve got some good advice on seeking out the perfect business name for your Alabama LLC. Check out our guidance on naming your LLC and get inspired.
You’ve Found the Perfect Name; What Next?
Once you’ve found the right name for your business, it’s time to make it a reality. Check out our packages for starting your Alabama LLC and form your LLC today.